cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5010 - not allowing more than 1 fex interface into a port-channel

dave.chadwick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I am trying to create a port-channel that contains 2 fex interfaces to provide SLB to a UNiX server, each time I try to add more that 1 interface into the Channel-group I get the following message:-"port channel cannot have more than 1 members".  I have configured the fex interfaces up as trunk interfaces and have set the lacp to active mode.

interface port-channel62
  switchport mode trunk

interface Ethernet107/1/37
  description NAS DATAMOVER L cge2
  switchport mode trunk
  channel-group 62 mode active

NEXUS-2-5010-B(config-if)# int e107/1/38
NEXUS-2-5010-B(config-if)# channel-group 62 mode act
port channel cannot have more than 1 members

Please note that I am trying to configure multiple interfaces on the FEX not on the 5010...

21 Replies 21

I'm not concerned about the vPC connections, I already have my vPC's configured from the 2148T FEX to the 5010's..  I'm talking about setting up an etherchannel connection to a server, which when configuring up the GEC the Nexus says "no more that 1 connection within the port-channel" .

I have the same problem. Finally, how you solved it?

Thanks.

Hi,

I had the same problem with a 5548 and a 2248 FEX running NX-OS 7.0.2

I ended up just forcing the port-channel.

int eth 101/1/1

channel-group X force mode active.

That did the trick for me.

Cheers

steve_mils
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

I see exactly the same problem - did you manage to find an answer?

Thanks, Steve

rawlinsm
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here.

I have 4 ports on a server divided evenly between 2 2048's

I would like all 4 ports to be seen to the server as an aggregated 4Gig  connection that will use LACP.

If I run 1 connection from each 2048 and put them in the same VPC, No  Problem.

When I try to add the second port on a 2048 to the same port-channel I get  the same error.

Something more like this:

What happens when you create a new port-channel (different channel#) and add it to the same vPC?   Like this:

N5k-1(config-if)# int ethernet 100/1/1

N5k-1(config-if)# channel-group 10

N5k-1(config-if)# int po10

N5k-1(config-if)# vpc 10

N5k-1(config-if)# int ethernet 100/1/2

N5k-1(config-if)# channel-group 11

N5k-1(config-if)# int po11

N5k-1(config-if)# vpc 10

Correst, it's one VPC per port-channel

So, , , How do you bind multiple ports together to a server in the nexus environment?

This topology requires Enhanced vPC.

"Cisco NX-OS supports Enhanced vPC on the Cisco Nexus 5548P, Cisco Nexus 5548UP, and
Cisco Nexus 5596UP devices. The Cisco Nexus 5010 and Cisco Nexus 5020 devices cannot support
Enhanced vPC. Enhanced vPC is implemented on the Cisco Nexus 5500 Series device and has no
specific requirements from a FEX. As a result, different types of FEXs can be deployed in an Enhanced
vPC topology."

rawlinsm
Level 1
Level 1

a VPC can only belong to a single Port-Channel

You get an error:

LVC-5020-1(config)# int po 50
LVC-5020-1(config-if)# vpc 50
LVC-5020-1(config-if)# int po 51
LVC-5020-1(config-if)# vpc 50
ERROR: Operation failed: [vPC already exists]

alytle111
Level 1
Level 1

Reported problem to TAC.  They stated the current Nexus-OS does not support more than one interface per port-channel attached to a single 2k...if you want more than 2 ports per port-channel then use 5k ports.

TAC should have also tell you that the product N2248T is the one that will support this feature.

I guess this post can be marked as resolved

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: