Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Question

Mavrick25
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Is there any particular reason as to why, I can successfully connect and create a VPN session, ping the requested servers I need to reach.

But, at the same time have a difficult time accessing the services.

I can ping our:

Management servers: Servers used to operate on our Cisco Boxes..

Monitoring Servers: To Monitor the network

Syslog Servers, ect..

But, I can't get in.. I create a secure VPN connection and ping the servers, that's it..

For example, when I successfully connect to our vpn server, I type in the correct requested ip address in my web browser but I don't get a response from the server, it's so annoying!!

I can't figure this out..

why??

Any suggestions??

MAV

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MAV

There might be several things that cause this symptom. My first guess might be that the servers are configured with restrictions about what addresses they will allow to login. The server might respond to ping but the application may not accept the login request.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Everyone,

Is there any particular reason as to why, I can successfully connect and create a VPN session, ping the requested servers I need to reach.

But, at the same time have a difficult time accessing the services.

I can ping our:

Management servers: Servers used to operate on our Cisco Boxes..

Monitoring Servers: To Monitor the network

Syslog Servers, ect..

But, I can't get in.. I create a secure VPN connection and ping the servers, that's it..

For example, when I successfully connect to our vpn server, I type in the correct requested ip address in my web browser but I don't get a response from the server, it's so annoying!!

I can't figure this out..

why??

Any suggestions??

MAV

Hi,

As suggested by Rick it can be several cause that only particular acces been given to vpn users for these servers or check out that once you get connected what are all the access given to your vpn users to access these servers.This will clear at leats what type of restriction is given on these server via VPN.

Hope to help !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

aabhatia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please confirm the devices that you have, check if there is any tcp inspects enabled on it.

Also enable logging and check if any access-list is dropping port specific packet.

you can also use packet tracer command to check what exactly is happening to the packet, or take packet captures to check if packet is going and coming back for perticular port (as per application or not)

command for packet tracer is only available on ASA.

command is

packet-tracer input inside tcp < Enter the Source address if ipv4>  < Enter port number>  < Enter the destination ipv4 address> 0 detailed

Regards

aarti