Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick one on Link aggregation

danabersoch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ive got a situation where I have a router with a gigabit ethernet interface and a fast ethernet interface.

I want this router to be a router-on-a-stick so there is a trunk coming from a switch to the gig interface, the rest of my network has good redundancy and this link is kind of a SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE so I was wondering if I can aggregate FA and the GI int on a 2800 using LACP or Etherchannel (or anyhow) its not directly for the extra bandwidth its more for fault tolerence.

Thank you in advance everyone

Dan

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Ive got a situation where I have a router with a gigabit ethernet interface and a fast ethernet interface.

I want this router to be a router-on-a-stick so there is a trunk coming from a switch to the gig interface, the rest of my network has good redundancy and this link is kind of a SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE so I was wondering if I can aggregate FA and the GI int on a 2800 using LACP or Etherchannel (or anyhow) its not directly for the extra bandwidth its more for fault tolerence.

Thank you in advance everyone

Dan

Hi Dan,

Check out the below link for your requirement and with detail configuration commands hope it help out your query !!

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/hybrid/routing.html#wp41701

If helpful do rate the valauble post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you cannot etherchannel unequal speed links into a etherchannel.  If you want to do this  you would have to drop the gig link to 100 meg and try it .  It's not something I have tried on a router though .

No you cannot etherchannel unequal speed links into a etherchannel. 
If you want to do this  you would have to drop the gig link to 100 meg
and try it .  It's not something I have tried on a router though .

Thanks Glen for clarification for unequal speed for etherchannel configuration.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan,

Agreed with Glen

For more info:

Please refer to this document for Etherchannel Guideline and Restrictions:

Configure all LAN ports in an EtherChannel to operate at the same speed and in the same duplex mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/channel.html#wp1051818

HTH

Reza

Thanks guys, and cheers for the links

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: