Views
Helpful
Replies

Active - Standby Failover snmp trap

manoj-wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

We have 2 ASA 5520 in Active - Standby failover setup (ASA1 = Primary, ASA2 = Secondary). Since these two FW's are in other branch office, we have an IPSec connectivity to the FW for monitoring. I have the following question.

1. We have "snmp-server enable traps all" configured to send any traps to my monitoring tool. If the ASA2 takes over the Active role, will I receive any snmp trap on my monitoring tool? This is very important so that we come to know if any of the FW fails. What will the snmp trap look like? I would not like to try this on a production network, hence this question.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Manoj

3 Replies 3

svaish
Level 1
Level 1

Yes......because the configuration is same on both the firewall so it is absulately same.

there should be no doubt about this.

vilaxmi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

When the active device fails over to standby, the TRAPS genarated can look like the following syslog messages, depeding on what kind of failure it is :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/system/message/logmsgs.html#wp1420960

Below I have created a logging list TEST which includes system log messages related to the class ha (high availability, also known as failover) with a severity level of 4 and specifies that they should be sent to the syslog server. If you also want to see the time and date on which the log messages were generated, you can use "logging timestamp" command.

ASA(config)# logging list TEST level 4

ASA(config)# logging list TEST 104024-105999
ASA(config)# logging list TEST level 4 class ha
ASA(config)# logging class ha history 4

HTH

Vijaya

Thanks for the useful information! I actually have another question related to this topic.

Recently one of my ASA Clusters had a ASA standby unit's power supply fail. I want to enable SNMP on my ACTIVE/STANDBY ASA pair, so that if the health of the standby unit were to fail this would be reported to me. What SNMP commands would I need to enter to activate this so information would be reported to me as the active or failover is having any hardware issues?

Thank you,

Creighton

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card