DNS Lookup Timeout Problems with Cisco SA520w

Unanswered Question
Jan 24th, 2010

Hello,

We are trying to configure our new Cisco SA520w with our Internet connection.

As soon as we replace our existing Linksys RV042 with the Cisco SA520w, we find that DNS lookups start to take longer and longer to resovle. For example, an nslookup against yahoo.com will timeout, or take 10-12 seconds. Web browser requests simillarly take 30-45 seconds to resolve.

We've tried using both Google's and OpenDNS servers, as well as our ISP's nameservers. In all cases, the long DNS resolution takes place.

At first we thought that the firewall was misconfigured. However, we removed all firwall rules, and continued to experience the problem.

We've tried checking and unchecking the DNSProxy checkbox, but this doesn't seem to have any noticeable impact.

Does anyone have any idea about which setting impact DNS looksups, or what else we might try to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kevinfor Sun, 01/24/2010 - 23:57

I believe this is a known issue .. that was fixed in the latest firmware 1.1.21  that was just posted for download.. install it reboot.. if still the same issue... post the log files.

thanks

Kevin

stjenkins Tue, 07/23/2013 - 06:37

I know this is an old post but I just ran into the same issue described above with the most recent firmware patch 2.2.0.7.  Does anyone know if this bug has resurfaced?

Steven Smith Mon, 01/25/2010 - 09:26

On thing to add, read the release notes before upgrading.  It will factory default the SA520.

SA520wCiscoUser Mon, 01/25/2010 - 22:37

Thank you. We applied the upgrade, and the issue is resolved. DNS resolution now behaves as expected.

We noticed while performing this upgrade that -- as you stated -- the device was reset to factory defaults. We had previously saved a snapshot of the system configuration before the upgrade. However, we were not able to restore the settings using this backup.

One hopes that Cisco recognizes the importance of either maintaining configurations during upgrades, or if that is not possible, enabling the client to restore the settings from a backup made prior to the firmware upgrade.

On a related note, we discovered that it is possible to purchase support for this device, but it takes 5-10 days, once purchased, before support is "active".

Steven Smith Tue, 01/26/2010 - 08:11

I have spoken to the product team and development, and the SA should not need to restore to factory default during an upgrade again.  I do apologize about this. 

Steven DiStefano Wed, 01/27/2010 - 04:58

Regarding the question on 5-10 days for product support to become active, I followed up with the CA team and received the following, which is good for All partners to know...

Below is a description of the primary cause of delays in contract registration.

Contract registration takes 24-48hrs. Delays are generally caused by the Reseller/Partner who doesn't provide the product serial numbers to Cisco when they purchase the service. The contract cannot be registered until the Reseller or the Disti provides the serial numbers to Cisco via SMS3 (or B2B). In cases where Disti doesn't have a mechanism to collect the serial number before the product is shipped, or in cases of drop-ship, the Distis often have to track down their Resellers to get the serial numbers to Cisco.

There is a new program being discussed (drawing board now, so not available today) which will to allow the end-user to register the contract themselves, thus eliminating the need for the Disti or the Reseller to collect the serial number an input it into SMS3.

But in any case (now or later), when a customer calls in for support, if their contract has not yet been registered, the SBSC can work with the Global Entitlement Team to look-up the contract via the PO or SO number and complete the registration so service can be provided.

Hope this helps...

Steve

Alejandro Gallego Mon, 01/25/2010 - 19:40

Just curious, what is the OS on your client computers and did you see this behavior with all clients attached to the SA?

SA520wCiscoUser Mon, 01/25/2010 - 22:38

We tested on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.5, Win7, and WinXP. We experienced the same problems on all test machines.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content