cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch broadcast

mangesh_extc
Level 1
Level 1

how to check broadcast received on a port.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mangesh,

If you want to check broadcast frome arriving in switch port just make that port to sniff the traffic of the network and you will find a frame with a hexadecimal MAC address of FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF. This hexadecimal address is equivalent to 48 binary “ones.”

The meaning of this address in Ethernet is simply that this frame is intended to be received and processed by every node on the network of computers. Broadcast frames are generated when certain network services need to make announcements to other hosts on the network.

Hope it will help out your query !!

If helpful do rate the valauble post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mangesh,

If you want to check broadcast frome arriving in switch port just make that port to sniff the traffic of the network and you will find a frame with a hexadecimal MAC address of FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF. This hexadecimal address is equivalent to 48 binary “ones.”

The meaning of this address in Ethernet is simply that this frame is intended to be received and processed by every node on the network of computers. Broadcast frames are generated when certain network services need to make announcements to other hosts on the network.

Hope it will help out your query !!

If helpful do rate the valauble post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Thanks Ganesh

But how can check it from my machine if my machine is connected to that switch and I have no access to switch.

Thanks Ganesh

But how can check it from my machine if my machine is connected to that switch and I have no access to switch.

Hi Mangesh,

You cannot check unless you dont have access to switch that your pc is connected to which switch port by issuong show arp command in switch. Yes you can do  arp -a in command prompt if the swicth is given an ip address of the vlan in which your pc is connected then you can see the ip of the switch.

Hope to help

Regards

Ganesh.H

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You could use any software tools like (wireshark) for example to pin point the location of the broadcast, however, you have another option is to check the Switch interface itself, it should show you number of broadcast packets recieved on a port by issuing normal command (show interface x ).

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card