cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN - Dual ISP's can ASA 5505 do load balancing as well

mawallace
Level 1
Level 1

I want to link ASA 5505 to two ISP's for backup purpsoses.

I can see this configuation example here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Question - does the ASA 5505 do load balacning as well for both connections - is there an example somewhere?

(I do not want to buy two ASA 5505's!) which seems the only way I could find configuation details for!

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mawallace wrote:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Question - does the ASA 5505 do load balacning as well for both connections - is there an example somewhere?

(I do not want to buy two ASA 5505's!) which seems the only way I could find configuation details for!

No the ASA will not load-balance and it actually states that in the document you provided a link to.  If you want load-balancing you would need to look at a router rather than an ASA.

Jon

No the ASA will not load-balance and it actually states that in the document you provided a link to.  If you want load-balancing you would need to look at a router rather than an ASA.

Jon

Jon,

But we can provide the actvie/backup redudancy for links using ASA,I suppose as per cisco documentation.Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

Regards

Ganesh.H

ganeshh.iyer wrote:

No the
ASA will not load-balance and it actually states that in the document
you provided a link to.  If you want load-balancing you would need to
look at a router rather than an ASA.

Jon

Jon,

But we can provide the actvie/backup redudancy for links using ASA,I suppose as per cisco documentation.Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Ganesh

Yes you can and the OP actually was using the same doc you sent a link to. But his question was whether you can do load-balancing on the ASA and as the document says, no you can't.

You can do a form of load-balancing with active/active contexts but the OP only has one ASA anyway.

Jon

Ganesh

Yes you can and the OP actually was using the same doc you sent a link to. But his question was whether you can do load-balancing on the ASA and as the document says, no you can't.

You can do a form of load-balancing with active/active contexts but the OP only has one ASA anyway.

Jon

Thanks for clarification Jon !!

Ganesh.H

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

Yes it is possible to have active/backup redundancy between the ISP using ASA 5505,check out the below link hope it will clear your query!!

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the valaubale post.

Regards
Ganesh.H

This looks like an old thread however...

I have some questions, I have an ASA 5505 and two ISP's.

In between the ASA 5505 I have a PL600 (Powerlink) Load Balancer.

Both ISP's have been configured on two of the PL600's ports.

On the ASA 5505 how can I configure static routes on to both of those ISPS using one port, over to one port on the PL600?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card