cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000; IPSec; VPN; Shrew Soft IPSEC Client

michaelrach
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had success in connecting from a single remote workstation to an RVS4000 using NAT?  Second, has anyone had success using the VPN Client from Shrew Soft available from shrew.net?

7 Replies 7

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

instructions on how to connect here:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-10585

This describes how to connect a RVS4000 to a VPN client running on MAC OS X

However, the steps should be similar if you replace the IP Securitas software and the OS with the system of your choice

I have not tried Shrew Soft.

Iwan Krastew
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Michael,

I know the thread is old but I could not find the information requested in our forum. Here is a link to the recently uploaded document on how to set up VPN tunnel using Shrew Soft VPN to RVS4000:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18443

I hope this will be helpful for everyone!

Best regards,
Iwan Krastew

Iwan,

Thank you so much for making this helpful setup document. I have been able to connect to my work VPN using your tutorial on Windows Shrew VPN. When I tried it on Linux (with ike version 2.1.7 on Ubuntu 11), however, it failed to connect.

On linux, the message I got from the GUI when trying to connect is:

gateway not responding

tunnel disabled

detached from key daemon ...

Do you know why it would fail?

One thing I noticed is that the options for "Phase 2 -> Transform Algorithm" do not include "esp-3des" (or anything with "esp" in the name).  Instead I chose "3des". Do you think this is the issue? Is there a way to make this work on Linux?

Thanks

Corey

Hello Corey,

"esp-3des" is only an option in the Shrew VPN Client. This option is called 3DES in our router. However, this should not be the reason why it is failing to establish the tunnel. Can you please make sure that you are not using any firewall rules that might prevent the connection (i.e. iptables).

You can check it using the following commands when you are logged in as a superuser (root):

# iptables -L

# iptables -L -t nat

Reset them using:

# iptables -F

# iptables -X

Please report if you have found out what might be the reason. I will try to create a tunnel using Linux environment early next year.

Best regards,

Iwan

I will do so and let you know what happens. Thanks alot!

Iwan,

I tried resetting the iptables with the commands you mentioned, and I still have the problem. I don't understand the output of the iptables command, but I can post the output before and after resetting, if you want to see it.

I also tried this to no avail:

http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Corey

Iwan,

Have you had a chance to try to get RVS4000 VPN working with Linux via Shrew VPN?

Thanks

Corey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: