Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS and TCP source port randomization

jaimefordham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've got a CSS running software 8.1 and we're performing source NAT on IP addresses in our back-end networks to a IP addresses on a front-end network.

Essentially each IP on the back-end is transleted to a single IP address on the front-end (customer side) network, for example:

service Service_Example1
  ip address 10.0.0.1
  active

!

group NAT-Example1
  vip address 192.168.100.100
  add service Service_Example1
  flow-timeout-multiplier 1350
  active

!

The problem we're experiencing is that the CSS upon performing source NAT for connections outbound from the back-end, it also randomizes the source TCP port for the outgoing packet which poses a problem with an application which expects the TCP source port to be within a very tight range.

Restricting the port-map range for the NAT also doesn't help as it will still randomize the TCP source port but just to a smaller range.

I know that the source port randomization can be disabled for UDP flows but can this be done for TCP and if so, how?

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v7.50/command/reference/CmdGrpC.html#wp1139667

portmap [base-port base_number|disable|enable|number-of-ports number|vip-address-range number]

disable

Instructs the CSS to perform Network Address Translation (NAT) only on the source IP addresses and not on the source ports of UDP traffic hitting a particular source group. This option does not affect TCP flows.

For applications with high-numbered assigned ports (for example, SIP and WAP), we recommend that you preserve those port numbers by configuring destination services in source groups. Destination services cause the CSS to NAT the client source ports, but not the destination ports.

Note If you disable flows for a UDP port using the flow-state table and configure the portmap disable command in a source group, traffic for that port that matches on the source group does not successfully traverse the CSS.

The CSS maintains but ignores any base-port or number-of ports (see the options above) values configured in the source group. If you later reenable port mapping for that source group, any configured base-port or number-of ports values will take effect. The default behavior for a configured source group is to NAT both the source IP address and the source port for port numbers greater than 1023.

There is no possibility to disable it for TCP.

We need to source nat the port to guarantee that the server response comes back on the same module/CPU and the internal packet allocation algorithm is based on src and dst ports.µ

Gilles:

jaimefordham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There's only one problem with your sugestion with regards to my original question:

This option does not affect TCP flows.

Yes, I realised I had forgotten the last part and updated my initial comment.

This does not apply to TCP and therefore there is no solution for TCP.

This behavior is required because the CSS is modular and all modules participate to packet processing.

The traffic is assigned to the modules based on a hash of the src and dst port.

Since one module needs to process inbound and outbound traffic of a single connection, we need to guarantee that the hash of the nated traffic does come back to the same module...so we change the src port since normally the src port should not matter for an application.

Gilles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: