Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on a stick config

HMidkiff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a 2821 router connected to a 2950 switch.  On the 2821 I configured sub-interfaces.  On the 2950 I configured 4 VLAN's.  The port that connects to the router I configured as a trunk port.  The problem I am having is on the 2950 it will only let me have 1 active VLAN.  If a VLAN is active and then I enable one of the other VLAN's the other shuts down.  Hmmmm  I have deploy the same router on a stick with 2960's and they do not function this way.  Is this how 2950's function?  Would I need a layer 3 switch like a 3550? 

Harrison

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Harrison

Layer 2 switches like 2950's can have only one active Layer 3 SVI configured for a VLAN. Since it is layer 2, the Layer 3 IP is used only to manage the box. If you are configuring trunk between router and switch, why do you need to define seperate layer 3 interfaces on the switch ? have layer 2 vlans on the switch, and associated Layer 3 IPs on the routers. Have the PC's / servers on the switch , configured with a default gateway address defined on the router !! eg, define vlan 2, 3, 4, 5 etc on the switch (on layer 2), and have sub-interfaces on the router with layer 3 addresses for these vlans. default gateway for components in these vlans would be the router's sub-int IP address.

BTW - You said " I have deploy the same router on a stick with 2960's".. do you mean, u could defind more than one VLAN SVI in 2960 ??

Raj

Raj:

Thank you for replying to my post...

With 2960 I have been able to define multiple VLANs and they all come up.  I have to have the router with the sub-interfaces in order to route traffic between them.  Am confused what could be happening here?

2960 is also layer 2 in nature.. thats why i asked..

are u saying u had multiple layer 2 vlans in 2960, and everything was up ? or are u referring to multiple layer 3 SVIs on 2960 ?

Incase you have any of the layer 2 vlans which are in down state, it can just be due to the cause that there are no ports active on that VLAN.. again.. why would u need to define layer 3 on 2960/2950 when doing router on a stick ? If you need distributed architecture, you should have a layer 3 switch like 3560/3750 etc and have layer 3 VLAN SVI terminated on the switch. The layer 3 switch will then have a back-to-back /30 link with the router.

Regards

Raj

Raj

Just for your info, it seems a 2960 can have multiple L3 SVIs up/up but still can't route between them -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/553111#553111

Apologies if you already knew this.

Jon

Jon

My bad..

Thanks for the info.. I was thinking 2960's just as other L2 switches !!! learnt something new today

Harrison - You have your answer now regarding multiple SVI's on 2960s, but i still dont get as to why you would need multiple SVI's on Layer 2 switches (for the fact that they cant route traffic between themselves) ?

Thanks again Jon

Raj

Again the lines continue to blur between layer 2 and 3  .  I'm pretty sure a 2960 is even capable of doing things like being a dhcp server because I think we actually did this once .   They also do port acl's which to me is also a layer 3 function as it would have to inspect the packet to do these .  I wonder if it being able to have multiple layer 3 interfaces whether it could be a dhcp server for multiple subnets  even though it can't route , sounds like an interesting lab test.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card