cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Memory upgrade 256 MB to 512 MB

csco10843343
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I will upgrade the asa 5510  from 256 MB RAM to 512 MB RAM. But I have read that some asa5510  firewalls have 1 slot and others 4 slots for RAM. How can I find out  without open the case how many slots are available?

thanks,

Gernot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are very few ASAs that were shipped with 4 slots, so you probably have 1 slot on your ASA.

If you still have 4 then install your memory to the slot that has the memory in it already, if you are replacing memory cards.

If you are adding a second 256 memory, make sure you install it to the second in a row after the one that is there already.

I hope it is clear now.

PK

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gernot,

ASA5510 should have 1slot.

Please, look at figure 4-24 here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/guide/procs.html#wp1076043

I hope it helps.

PK

Hi Kampana, thank you for you reply, but what does it mean below?

Some Cisco ASA 5510 have only a single memory socket, see Figure 4-24. while others have
four memory sockets. In both cases, remove the existing DIMM, and replace it with the new
one. In the Cisco ASA 5510 with four memory sockets, you must install slots 1and 3 that is P13
and P15 or slots 2 and 4 (P14 and P16).

regards,

Gernot

There are very few ASAs that were shipped with 4 slots, so you probably have 1 slot on your ASA.

If you still have 4 then install your memory to the slot that has the memory in it already, if you are replacing memory cards.

If you are adding a second 256 memory, make sure you install it to the second in a row after the one that is there already.

I hope it is clear now.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card