Failed my BCMSN today :(

Unanswered Question
Jan 25th, 2010

Scored a 755 but needed an 804.  I just was running out of time. I feel I knew the content pretty well, but I spent too much time on an early sim.  It required me to config a routing protocol that I'd not done simce my CCNA.  I feel pretty proud that I got that sim working, but in the end, I had only 25 minutes left and 38 questions left.  It was then I started to panic and on a few of the questions I had to just throw them away because I didn't have enough time left to really read and work through what was a wordy and complex set of questions in the last 20.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next.  Take another swing soon, since I think I have the content reasonably well.  Or put it off and ty to work some labs at home and read some more.  I guess I have a few days to think it over.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on the best approach to take from here.  My CCNA took me two swings.  I guess it's not unheard of.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Mon, 01/25/2010 - 18:01

Hello Roger,

755  out of 804 is very close....

You are almost there.  Do NOT give up.  Take a week or so and review the material again and go over the material that you think you are weak at and take another swing at it while the material is still fresh in you head.  You WILL PASS this time. I know it is very disappointing, but the joy will come very soon..

Good Luck

Reza

steven.armitage Tue, 01/26/2010 - 08:17

I've just been through the same exam and it sounds like I got held up in the same place as you but for less time and I managed to get through it

with a score of 890

The biggest help to me was going through the labs for a couple of days before the exam , it certainly helped.

So that would be my best advice to you , practice and then try again

Good Luck

unixdayjob Tue, 01/26/2010 - 10:18

I sit for ICND2 tomorrow.  I am ready for RIPv1/v2, OSPF (single area) and EIGRP (small-ish).

So, let me guess ... it asked you about RIP ?   That's almost funny ... does ANYONE use RIP anywhere, ever?

Not that you should answer me ...  if it was EIGRP, shame on you  :-)

Recently, someone told me that he had to configure RIP for his CCNA -- not OSPF or EIGRP!  Gee duh ...

For a small network, OSPF is just as easy to setup and then you have a more scalable network.  Why not test for that?  I've seen no jobs looking for RIP!  LOLOLOLOLOL!

I do not 'get it'.   Now I know why people say, "all that matters is you pass".  Cuz the exams almost don't make any sense.

So I guess I'm taking a 'practice' exam tomorrow.  If I somehow bomb it, maybe next week...

I bet you'll pass the exam, just get back to speed with the "old" routing protocol and re-sit next week or two.  While things are fresh on your mind....

--

leroyplock Tue, 01/26/2010 - 14:52

Definitely don't give up, lots of people have to take CCNP exams more than once. It took me two tries on the BSCI.

One thing I've really noticed on the sims is that the answer is going to be straightforward and pretty simple once you figure out what they're after. They're not going to ask you to do massive reconfiguration, more like only 2 or 3 commands. I've had to make myself spend more time sitting on my hands and thinking about what they were after before diving in to the configs.

Another thing I've realized is that hands-on labs are essential. No amount of book-reading and memorization make up for actually configuring the switches, wondering why it's not working, finding the problem and making it work. The hands-on labs make the memorization easier as well, it's a lot easier to remember a command you've typed 20 times.

Best of luck.

rlutz Wed, 01/27/2010 - 03:44

I'm not going to give up, but it was disappointing.  It is very difficult for me to get away to the exam center.  And my CCNA is about to expire.  I agree that the sims are needed.  I just wish they'd have stuck to switching concepts.  While I figured it out, I'm not fast enough at working through those problems.  If I had 2 hours, I think I'd have gotten nearly every one right.  I'm not sure what the time constraint really proves.  But I understand that it exsists for everyone.  So I guess it is fair but unecessary (in my opinion).

I'm worried now in that I don't know how to better prepare.  I think a slightly different mix of questions is all it will take but I hate to leave it to chance.  I'm considering maybe a test simulator or something...  I know some seem to think that is not exactly above the board.  I just don't know how else to prepare.  I'm willing to do the work.  I just don't know what work will help and time is running short.

To some, I have the feeling these tests are easy.  Is that true or am I kidding myself?

steven.armitage Wed, 01/27/2010 - 04:54

I used the Boson NetSimulator  Software which also contains the CCNA & BSCI  labs so I was able to go over them too.

With the launch of TSHOOT & ROUTE it may not be a great time to buy, but it would certainly help with what you need now

http://www.boson.com/Product/CIS-NS-CCNP-02.html

They also have an Exam Simulator which may be useful to you

Good luck

Steve

Actions

This Discussion