cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No internal tone when picking up phone (7965G)

ROBERT ISAACS
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening,

My boss wanted me to resurrect an old function that we had on our old analog system. We had a certain number for IS Emergency calls that was on every IS Department members phone. He wanted me to make a 2nd line on each phone with that number. It did not have to have voice mail - it was a purely a company internal number. I created the 2nd DN on several IS Dept IP phones including mine. It works great. When someone calls the number it rings on all of the phones that I added.

The problem is that now when I pick up my phone I hear nothing. If I press the New Call softkey I get tone (internal). I am used to dialing my number first and then picking up the phone and having it dial. Now when I do that I get an earlier call number. I can hit NewCall and enter the number and it works just fine. Incoming calls seem to have no problems.

I am using Call Manager 7.1.3.10000-11. I have all new 7965G's (I have some 7945G's also but none in IS). This is a fairly new installation and my first CCM to administer ( thus the rookie question). What have I done to myself?

Thanks for any and all help - I appreciate it.

RI

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi RI,

Excellent question here. Have a look at this setting;

Always Use Prime Line = **Set this to False for your scenario
I'm guessing that it is currently set @ True

Description

After you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, when the phone is idle (off hook) and receives a call on any line, the primary line gets chosen for the call.

Tip To configure the Always Use Prime Line feature in previous releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you configured the Always Use Prime Line service parameter for the Cisco CallManager service. In Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(3), you can configure the Always Use Prime Line setting for devices and device profiles.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 4.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

Device > Phone

Device > Common Phone Profile

Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

Hope this helps!
Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi RI,

Excellent question here. Have a look at this setting;

Always Use Prime Line = **Set this to False for your scenario
I'm guessing that it is currently set @ True

Description

After you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, when the phone is idle (off hook) and receives a call on any line, the primary line gets chosen for the call.

Tip To configure the Always Use Prime Line feature in previous releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you configured the Always Use Prime Line service parameter for the Cisco CallManager service. In Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(3), you can configure the Always Use Prime Line setting for devices and device profiles.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 4.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

Device > Phone

Device > Common Phone Profile

Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

Hope this helps!
Rob

Thanks Rob, I appreciate it. It was the "always use prime line setting". When the site was installed we had no multiple line phones and the consultant didn't change that setting.

thanks again,

RI