Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP & RIP

netbeginner
Level 2
Level 2

Dear All,

I having a confision with a scenerio in EIGRP and with RIP versions.

1) In EIGRP -->

I have a two path to the same destination , The AD of First path is 5 and the AD for second path is 6. The "FD" (Feasible Distance) of both the paths are 7(i.e equal). EIGRP will prefer which path as the best and why?

What is "Feasible distance" and "Advertised Distance" in EIGRP is?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) In RIP -->

RIP version 1 is configured between two routers , If i want to migrate RIP configs from V1 to V2 without any impact on services,  then what extra configs do i need to do on both the routers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1- Yes, but to perform (unequal cost loadbalancing), the variance command has to be configured under the eigrp process.

The preference I have mentioned earlier is the order of preference that a router use to reach any destination.

2- Yes, you are right.

HTH

Mohamed

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1- The path with AD of 5 will be prefered cause it has the lowest AD value no matter what is the value of the feasible distance for both paths.

Here is the order of the preference that a router prefer to reach particular destination:

a-- Prefer the path with the longest prefix match in the routing table.

b-- Prefer the Path with the lowest AD value.

c-- If there is a tie, prefer the paths with the lowest metric valuse.

d-- If there is  atie, do equal cost loadsharing.

The Feasible Distance (FD) is the total metric from the source to the destination

The Advertise distance , is the metric from the nexthop router to the destination.

2- Keep in mind that , In Rip v1  ,  a router is capable of sending version 1 rip updates and can recieve Version 1 & 2 updates, So to migrate , you will need to send Version 2 also.

what you can do at the interface level:

IP rip send version 1 2

with the above command, you router will be able to send version 1 and 2 while recieving both at the same time.

HTH

Mohamed

Hii Mohamed,

Thanks ...

For EIGRP :-

As you mentioned in point "d" for preference order of route  " d-- If there is  atie, do equal cost loadsharing."

But EIGRP is well know for UNEQUAL PATH LOAD BALANING.

For RIP:- As i understand, command "ip rip send version 1 2" need to be configured on all router interface on network who are running with RIP ver1. m i right....?

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1- Yes, but to perform (unequal cost loadbalancing), the variance command has to be configured under the eigrp process.

The preference I have mentioned earlier is the order of preference that a router use to reach any destination.

2- Yes, you are right.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card