Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6516A-GBIC in VSS enviroment

keithmatsepe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

According to Cisco, The VSS requires 67xx series switching modules.. My guys in the team have already bought WS-X6516A-GBIC. Anyone implemented VSS and used this module?

Kind Regards,

Keith

7 Replies 7

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Keith

Do you mean you purchased a 6516 module just for uplink or server connectivity ? Both 67xx and 6516 modules are supported with SUP 720 (which is what u use with VSS).. and hence this module should work with SUP 720. the only limitation is 67xx modules work only with sup 720.. if u have sup 2 (which you would obviously not have with VSS), 67xx doesnt work.. The following URL shows the compatibiltiy matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080a70cda.shtml#topic15

Hope this helps.. All the best

Raj

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

keithmatsepe wrote:

Hi All,

According to Cisco, The VSS requires 67xx series switching modules.. My guys in the team have already bought WS-X6516A-GBIC. Anyone implemented VSS and used this module?

Kind Regards,

Keith

Keith

It won't work. As the Cisco doc clearly states you can only use 67xx modules with VSS. There are lots of modules, in fact most, that will work with the Sup720 but not the with VSS.

Jon

Pls ignore my previous post.. Jon is right.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b_ps2797_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

This URL confirms this !.. probably another way to market 67xx modules I really donno what the edge switch module has to do with VSS functionality.. probably they might bring in more modules in future for VSS support...

Raj

It is because of the DFC capabilities of the 67xx series.

Regards,

jerry

Jerry

Thanks for the input.. VSSas a functionality is more towards core/distribution layer in any network.. and when bundling chassis together, isnt it more important for us to have high end modules connecting these switches, rather than restricting GE modules which would connect to end PC's/servers or trunks ? This rather limits multiple end user options which we get with a normal SUP 720 supervisor, which supports far more modules.. Is there any roadmap to add more modules to support the VSS environment ?

Thanks again for your answer

Raj

The 67xx series are not low end LC, these are designed the DC. Speak of the roadmap, I think you should contact your account manager for more detail.

Regards,

jerry

keithmatsepe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Sorry for replying late... So it does seem that 65xx modules are No No in the VSS chassis. So the next possible SFP blade to use I suppose would be WS-X6724-SFP.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses.

Regards,

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card