Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant console into Catalyst 4507

CSCO10992439
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have some strange problem while trying to use the console to configure Catalyst 4507, Im using rollover cable, normal serial setting (9600-8-none-1-none). Switch has 2 supervisor engines ( Supervisor II-Plus).

The problem is that, I can see everything on the console, normal booting sequence, IOS image decompression, all messages that show normal synchronisation with the other supervisor engine. then when it reaches the part when it says Press Enter to start, I cant type anything, i still can see all the messages (like when I pull the other supervisor engine out) it gives me the message that it was pulled out, yet I cant type anything. Same thing with the second sup-engine. Unfortunately, Telnet and Aux port are not set, so they are unusable.

Can anyone help please? All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

49 Replies 49

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

HI Baher

Is this  a new switch ? Are you installing it for the first time ? If so, can you pls boot the switch with only one SUP to start with, and see if it comes up... and then insert the second later ? Are the LEDs green on the switch ? do you see any other error messages during boot ? Can you copy paste the boot sequence if possible ?

Raj

HHi Raj,

Thanks for your reply.

The switch is not new, its been working for years. But I needed to reconfigure it to comply with the new network design we're having. I issued the command (erase startup-config) to start from scratch, do you think this might be the problem? Note that the configuration was resynchronised from the second SUP and same config was loaded in the switch again. I know, I should have used one SUP at a time while deleting the config.

This whole issue happened before, its not the first time. After trying to unplug/re-plug the console cable or closing terminal emulator program and starting it again, these steps used to fix the problem. But this time its persistent, it never accepts any command, not even the Ctrl+C to start ROMMON mode.

I've tried what you suggested by starting with one SUP only, same problem happaned, tried with the second SUP (installed in the first slot) only, same problem again.

All messages are about successful synchronising with the standby SUP, although there is one error massage about IOS mismatch between the SUPs although they both have the same IOS version which is 12.2(25) EWA4.

Config Reg is 0x2101. I will post the boot sequence/messages tomorrow when Im at work.

Thanks again Raj

UPDATE: I attached the boot sequence, Hope this can help. Thanks

krishnakumarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can you provide show module out put

regards

krishna kumar

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, this is the main problem, I cannot input any command in the console session, not even Ctrl+C at the beginning to the booting sequence

Cheers

Hi

You can telnet/ssh to the switch , you can take this out put

the console will work primary sup engine only the secondary sup will dispaly standby mode

regards

krishna

no passwords were set, so I only can get into " Switch> " mode. will I be able to run show module?

Hi

As per the log there is no issue in booth sup engines the config sync happend both sup

you can verify the sup engine status show module  and it shows which one is primary & secondary

can u change the config register value to 0X2102

regards

krishna kumar

I have an engineer on the site now, I asked him to telnet into the switch and run the show module command from the user exec mode. Will post the output as soon as I get them. Is it possible to change the config register from the user exec mode? should it be 0x2102? if so what does 0x2101 mean? and could it be changed by itself?

Hi,

This is the output of show module command:

show module

Chassis Type : WS-C4507R

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

1     2  Supervisor II+ 1000BaseX (GBIC)        WS-X4013+          JAE1005V9SX

2     2  Supervisor II+ 1000BaseX (GBIC)        WS-X4013+          JAE1004UBAS

3    24  10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                WS-X4424-GB-RJ45   JAE1002TSSA

4    24  10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                WS-X4424-GB-RJ45   JAB07080788

M MAC addresses                    Hw  Fw           Sw               Status

--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------

1 0016.9d95.7c40 to 0016.9d95.7c41 4.1 12.2(20r)EW1 12.2(25)EWA4     Ok

2 0016.9d95.7c42 to 0016.9d95.7c43 4.1 12.2(20r)EW1 12.2(25)EWA4,    Ok

3 0015.c62c.b448 to 0015.c62c.b45f 1.7                               Ok

4 000a.f413.a0a0 to 000a.f413.a0b7 1.5                               Ok

Mod  Redundancy role     Redundancy mode     Redundancy status

----+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------

1   Active Supervisor   RPR                 Active

2   Standby Supervisor  RPR                 Standby cold

Hope it helps

Regards

Hi

From the log I can see the issue has been resolved

Any query pl let me know

reagards

krishna kumar

Hi,

Its not been resolved, this output is from telnet, user exec mode, I cant get into privileged mode because no passwords were set. And most importantly, main problem still there, which is I cannot input commands via console session.

Thanks again

Hi

Remove secondary supevervisor and reboot with one supervisor engine  whether you can able to configure the swith ,

check the ScrLK is eabled when connected to hyperteminal

regards

krishna

Hi Krishna,

I've tried to boot with one SUP at a time, same problem. Regarding the ScLK, thats a very good point, I've never known or even noticed this before, I will try it out and get back to you.

Update: I've just remembered that I used the same console cable, laptop and even left the same console session opened, and connected the cable to another switch (2970) and it worked just fine.

Do you think this 4507 has different console setting? can it be changed by itself for any reason?

also, as Im using the default settings:

• Bits per sec:  9600
  • Data bits:  8
  • Parity:  none
  • Stop bits:  1
  • Flow control:  none

is there anyway I can know what the current settings for this switch? or I'll have to try different combination for all of these variables till I get it to work?

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco