Replies

host based routing

arulkumar80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi
Please tell how to configure host based routing
my setup is like this.
ISP router , linkbalancer and  fireawall are all connected to a unmanageable switch
ISP router , linkbalancer and  fireawall are all having the ip address in the same subnet.
now the ISP router is forwarding traffic to firewall.
i want to configure ISP router so that it forwards traffic to linkbalancer and the linkbalancer to forward traffic to firewall.
Please help in configuring ISP router
ISP router is a cisco router.

Regards
Arulkumar

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arulkumar,

>> ISP router , linkbalancer and  fireawall are all having the ip address in the same subnet.

if you are interested on sending to load balancer traffic for a subnet behind the firewall it is enough to use a static route for that subnet that specifies an IP next-hop = load balancer IP address.

The load balancer on its turn will be used as next-hop for internet or external routes by the firewall

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi
Please tell how to configure host based routing
my setup is like this.
ISP router , linkbalancer and  fireawall are all connected to a unmanageable switch
ISP router , linkbalancer and  fireawall are all having the ip address in the same subnet.
now the ISP router is forwarding traffic to firewall.
i want to configure ISP router so that it forwards traffic to linkbalancer and the linkbalancer to forward traffic to firewall.
Please help in configuring ISP router
ISP router is a cisco router.

Regards
Arulkumar

Arulkumar,

It just a staic routing concept in cisco router just point reverse route subnet towards the link balancer and from link balancer to firewall and for traffic towards external world firewall towards link balancer and from link balancer a default route towards ISP router.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

I was trying to find the command for configuring static routes for destination in the same subnet.

I found it has to be something like this

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.2

Regards

Arulkumar

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

I was trying to find the command for configuring static routes for destination in the same subnet.

I found it has to be something like this

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.2

Regards

Arulkumar

ArulKumar,

Command is the same but differ with devices these command like ip route destination network net mask gateway is the genral syntax which is used to work in cisco IOS.

Differ in firewall also like this static routing commands for PIX ("route ").

Check ou the below link on static routing configuration command.

http://www.petri.co.il/csc_how_to_static_routes_cisco_ios.htm

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the vlauable post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card