Tshoot or ISCW/ONT

Unanswered Question
Jan 26th, 2010

So they've changed the CCNP while I'm in the middle. Since I've passed BCMSN and BSCI, I can just take the Tshoot and be done (Cisco recommends). Or I could hurry up and finish the ISCW and ONT before July 31st.

Seems silly to spend time on the old path, but I have questions:

1. Since it seems the content of the certification has dramatically changed, where will I pick up the knowledge I would have gotten from ISCW and ONT? VPN, MPLS, QoS, NBAR, Traffic shaping, Wireless. Can I pick up this same information from other courses and apply them to another cert?

2. Do you think hiring managers will look down on the new CCNP and favor those who have the "classic CCNP?" It does seem the new one is kind of dumbed down as far as breadth of knowledge. But then again, maybe people would prefer the new one because it's more hands-on/practical?

Thanks for any ideas.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

picking up the knowledge is easy - when you're done with the new track take some security and QoS books. you need to recertify every 3 years anyway so make it a security or QoS (or Voice or any knowledge you look for)

as per employers, I do not think it matters. if all they look for the certification they care if it is CCNP or not. if they care about the experience either you have it or not, which exams you used doesn't matter

CSCO10992439 Tue, 01/26/2010 - 22:57

Hi leroyplock,

Thanks for posting this question. I have the exact same situation, I'm also in the middle of the CCNP path, passed BSCI, and BCMSN. Again, I have the same concerns you addressed in your question. I see for example VPN, IOS Firewall, MPLS are very important topics in ISCW, I'm sure there is a couple of important topics in ONT too. This raises the question, which exams to take ISCW/ONT or TSHOOT?

For me, I'm sure I can pass ISCW before it gets retired, but not so sure I can do ONT too, thats why its risky, still trying to think the best way to do it. By the way, is it confirmed now that I can take BSCI, BCMSN, TSHOOT and be CCNP certified? I mean can I mix and match on exams from before and after 31 July?

Thanks everyone.

Thompso7540_2 Fri, 02/05/2010 - 11:26

I am in the same boat....i have bsci and bcmsn done...i am going to wait for tshoot, it's better than cramming 2 exams

i don't care when i'm going to pick up qos, and all that, i'll learn that on the job and through books

I think it's ridiculous to think managers will look down on ccnp 6.0, they just acre about having the ccnp

mmnasdeatcisco Thu, 02/18/2010 - 09:25

this is quite obvious , but you can get that knowledge from the ccie exam ( for leroyplock ) .

you said you could hurry up and pass the iscw and ont exam . that would be nice since you have 6 months , if you can go for it . at least go go for iscw before august . that knowledge is very important .

Thompso7540_2 Thu, 02/18/2010 - 12:16

taking the ccie exam won't give you any knowledge, studying and real world experience does

This Discussion

Related Content