Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring IPM 4.1

akash04lingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

We are using LMS 3.1, in this we are using IPM 4.1, I am not getting how to configure it and start to work by it. Can anyone tell me some idea abt configuring the IPM.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IPM requires you to have IOS devices which support IP SLA.  From there, you can define operations then collectors which combine source devices, an IP SLA operation, and target devices to make an IP SLA collector.  The IPM Collector Mgmt page is where most of the magic happens.  Consult the online help at http://SERVER/help/ipm/IPM_Using_Collector_Proc.html#wp1328998 for details on understanding this page, and adding new Collectors.

Hi Joe,

I am unable to open the link given by you in the previous update. I am going to configure IPM 4.1 from scratch

1)Should i need to use a separate router as a source router?

2)If yes. please provide me the requirement of the router (ie) what model of the router to use, How much RAM and flash memory is required?

3)Please provide me the link to configure the IPSLA in the source and target routers.

The link for IPM 4.1 is http://SERVER/help/ipm/IPM_Using_Collector_Proc.html#wp1328998 where SERVER is your LMS server's address (and port number).

1. You don't need to use a dedicated IP SLA source router.  You can use any IOS device capable of supporting IP SLA.  However, the leading practice is to dedicate a device for this task to prevent interfering with production operations.

2. Any IOS device running an image better than IPBASE will work.  It is recommended to run very recent code on this device.  For example, an 1841 running 15.0(1)M ADVIPSERVICES with 256 MB of RAM will give you a full range of IP SLA support.

3. There is nothing you need to do on the source router to enable IP SLA.  IPM will take care of that for you.  You just need to make sure the device has SNMP read-write credentials configured, and those credentials are entered into DCR.  For the target device, this can usually be any IP device.  However, for UDP operations such as jitter, you will need a target IOS device, and you will need to configure:

ip sla responder

Older versions of IOS may require you to configure one of the following instead:

ip sla monitor responder

Or:

rtr responder
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: