How to tell CW which ip to poll

baotran09
Level 1
Level 1

I have a csico 850 touter

My router has 2 interfaces:

Vlan1                     192.168.1.1
Dialer0                   192.168.2.1 

I want CW to use dialer0 as the primary interface. Dialer0 has cdp disabled, is that the reason CW use VLAN 1interface instead of dialer 0?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LMS will poll the device by whatever IP address you used when you added it to DCR.  If it was added via Discovery, then the VLAN 1 IP was probably found via your preferred management IP choice.  Just go into Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management, and change this device's IP address.  Then, all polling will happen through the desired IP.

That said, DFM will still insist on being able to ping the VLAN 1 IP provided you have that IP address managed in DFM.

Isnt there a way to tell CW which the prefer interface? e.g loopback, if the device doesnt have a loopback use physical interface etc.. That's why automatic discovery is all about isnt?

If you add a device to DCR manually, then the IP address you use when you add the device is the management IP.  No additional calculations are done.  If, however, the device is discovered by CS Discovery, then the management IP will be chosen based on your configured preferences.  If you picked "Use Loopback", Discovery will pick the loopback with the highest IP.  If there are no loopbacks, it will pick the ethernet interface with the highest IP, then token ring, then serial (ifType 22), then virtual (ifType 53 or VLAN interfaces).  So that would explain why your router had its VLAN interface selected instead of the Dialer interface.