cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Offset In EIGRP( will change metric locally or globally)

Rupesh Kashyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I want to know, if I apply offset list and I am applying metric of the route. I want to know change in metric will local on that router only or will publish to all EIGRP neighbors and all EIGRP enabled routers in the network

Apply Offsets to Routing Metrics

An offset list is the mechanism for increasing incoming and outgoing metrics to routes learned via EIGRP. This is done to provide a local mechanism for increasing the value of routing metrics. Optionally, you can limit the offset list with either an access list or an interface. To increase the value of routing metrics, use the following command in router configuration mode:

Command
Purpose

offset-list [access-list-number | name] {in | out} offset [type number]

Apply an offset to routing metrics.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rupesh,

if after applying the offset-list in/out an interface the path is still the best path for the local node it will be propagated to downstream routers (routers that use local node in reaching the subnet).

Offset list allows for selective action and the effect is an increase in delay parameter.

When increasing delay on interface the change affects all updates learned by that interface.

the EIGRP update actually carries in separated fields:

cumulative delay

lowest BW in the path

min MTU on the path

router hops on path

this allows for easy calculation of metric from point of view of local node:

add local delay

check if BW is greater then current lowest BW on path

and so on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

You mean, if I have five routers. A->B->C->D->E & if I use Offset-list OUT on B for changing the metric, it will propagate to directly conncted router C & respective all remote routers D and E.

Hello Rupesh,

yes if after change on RB the modified route is still the best path on RB to destination it will be propagated to downstream routers RC,RD, RE

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks man, you are my helping hand. What is your personal email ID?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card