Desktop Voicemail Without Exchange

Unanswered Question
Jan 27th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

We are interested in the desktop voicemail functionality of the Cisco Unity Connection system. We have been told by salesman that this will only function with a MS Exchange server, which we do not have. We currently use a Mac OS X Mail server with IMAP e-mail accounts, which utilizes open-source technologies like postfix. Is there a way for us to use this type of server and have voicemail messages delivered to e-mail inboxes? If not, is there a web application that can be used to do this?

On a side note, I know the CCMuser webpage allows for web dialiing without the use of the computer's built-in mic. Is there currently a built-in way to make calls via the web browser without a physical phone?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jonathan Schulenberg Wed, 01/27/2010 - 05:51
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

If you are in fact talking about Unity Connections, then that individual is incorrect. Unity Connections provides an IMAP connection for any IMAP-compliant client to connect to and retrieve voice mail messages. In most clients (Outlook) this will appear as a separate inbox. Unity Connections also provides the ability to forward a copy of a user's voice mail messages to an SMTP destination.

If you are speaking about traditional Unity, then they are correct: traditional Unity requires Exchange or Domino when running in Unified Messaging mode.

I know the CCMuser webpage allows for web dialiing without the use of  the computer's built-in mic.

Yes, this is the webdialer API but a phone of some type is still required.

Is there currently a built-in way to make calls via the web browser  without a physical phone?

Not using a web browser. You can use a soft phone such as Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, IP Communicator (Windows only), or a third-party SIP client. UC Manager needs a phone to place the call to/from. It doesn't care if this is sitting on your desk or running on your PC.

senatore_mike Thu, 01/28/2010 - 07:50
User Badges:

I think that we have the traditional Unity system and would have to pay for Unity Connections. We use mostley Mac OS X clients, so I will have to look into a third-party SIP client, such as Blink, which is open-source. I took a brief look, but it will require some more research, not sure exactly how it works. Thanks for your response!

Mike

Actions

This Discussion