Views
Helpful
Replies

Desktop Voicemail Without Exchange

senatore_mike
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are interested in the desktop voicemail functionality of the Cisco Unity Connection system. We have been told by salesman that this will only function with a MS Exchange server, which we do not have. We currently use a Mac OS X Mail server with IMAP e-mail accounts, which utilizes open-source technologies like postfix. Is there a way for us to use this type of server and have voicemail messages delivered to e-mail inboxes? If not, is there a web application that can be used to do this?

On a side note, I know the CCMuser webpage allows for web dialiing without the use of the computer's built-in mic. Is there currently a built-in way to make calls via the web browser without a physical phone?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are in fact talking about Unity Connections, then that individual is incorrect. Unity Connections provides an IMAP connection for any IMAP-compliant client to connect to and retrieve voice mail messages. In most clients (Outlook) this will appear as a separate inbox. Unity Connections also provides the ability to forward a copy of a user's voice mail messages to an SMTP destination.

If you are speaking about traditional Unity, then they are correct: traditional Unity requires Exchange or Domino when running in Unified Messaging mode.

I know the CCMuser webpage allows for web dialiing without the use of  the computer's built-in mic.

Yes, this is the webdialer API but a phone of some type is still required.

Is there currently a built-in way to make calls via the web browser  without a physical phone?

Not using a web browser. You can use a soft phone such as Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, IP Communicator (Windows only), or a third-party SIP client. UC Manager needs a phone to place the call to/from. It doesn't care if this is sitting on your desk or running on your PC.

I think that we have the traditional Unity system and would have to pay for Unity Connections. We use mostley Mac OS X clients, so I will have to look into a third-party SIP client, such as Blink, which is open-source. I took a brief look, but it will require some more research, not sure exactly how it works. Thanks for your response!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: