Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP as a sorce of high CPU load

kozorezdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

On the router we have about 170 BGP peers.
One day we have hit max-prefix for number of peers (about 50 peers).
This sessions were in Active/Idle state and we were asking the peers to reset them.
During that situation we had unnormal CPU load on the router:

#sh process cpu sorted
CPU utilization for five seconds: 100%/4%; one minute: 85%; five minutes: 78%
PID Runtime(ms)   Invoked      uSecs   5Sec   1Min   5Min TTY Process
468   471065972  92202393       5109 94.74% 72.16% 64.72%   0 BGP Router     

But before it'd been something like this:

#sh process cpu sort
CPU utilization for five seconds: 21%/8%; one minute: 23%; five minutes: 22%
PID Runtime(ms)   Invoked      uSecs   5Sec   1Min   5Min TTY Process
145   695300536 675156784       1029  6.55%  2.54%  2.51%   0 BGP Router

We put the sessions in Administrative Down state and this action helped to reduce CPU load.
We had such situation even when just a few peers were in Active/Idle state.
As you can see our router is not so week as you can suppose:

#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, c7600s72033_rp Software (c7600s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICES-M), Version 12.2(33)SRD1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 24-Feb-09 23:34 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, c7600s72033_rp Software (c7600s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICES-M), Version 12.2(33)SRD1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Router01 uptime is 26 weeks, 1 day, 15 hours, 34 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 26 weeks, 1 day, 15 hours, 47 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 15:34:25 UTC Tue Feb 24 2009 (SP by reload)
System restarted at 17:05:40 UTC Tue Jul 28 2009
System image file is "bootdisk:c7600s72033-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload

cisco CISCO7609 (R7000) processor (revision 1.2) with 983008K/65536K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOX103107NH
SR71000 CPU at 600Mhz, Implementation 0x504, Rev 1.2, 512KB L2 Cache
Last reset from s/w reset
5 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
100 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
12 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1917K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of packet buffer memory.

65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
Configuration register is 0x2102

What is the reason why we had so high CPU load during the situation like i described before?
What we should do to avoid it?

Thank you in advance!

--
Have a nice day,
Dmitry

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dmitry,

Let's ignore the fact that your AS leaked the prefixes, since you also say this problem occurs anyway during a normal day of your network. I have an idea, but haven't actually used it in practice to be honest. My understanding is that your side continuously and actively tries to establish sessions and this might be causing this problem. There exists a BGP command "neighbor transport connection-mode {passive | active}". Maybe if you made your side passive, things would be better for you. I am sorry I do not remember where I've read/heard of this and cannot give you detailed documentation about it. My "guess" is that if you make your side passive and the other side is not passive as well, there won't be any issues (the responsibility of actively establishing the sessions is left to your peers). Up to now the only documentation I managed to find is the following command reference, which is not very detailed about possible problems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_bgp4.html#wp1043787

Kind Regards,

Maria

Edit: Ok, I just found this thread in Cisco NSP: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/122263#122263

View solution in original post

Hello Dmitry,

Maria has provided a possible remedy and a link where other people with similar device sup720  in similar scenario (many eBGP sessions in an internet exchange point like DECIX) saw high cpu usage when two or mode eBGP sessions are stucked at idle state.

However, the final obejctive is to setup eBGP sessions when the other peer is willing  to accept /start the session.
if the command

neigh x.x.x.x transport connection passive

is given both sides session never come up.

so if a manual change is needed it  becomes similar to using neigh ... shutdown

This is clearly an IOS software bug even if it  is not possible to find an exact match, because bug

CSCsy58115

mentioned in Gossamer forums is related to an increase in memory usage by BGP over time caused by idle BGP sessions and not to a great cpu increase over a so extended time window.

I think a bug exists for this, but it is not visible outside Cisco (for example not visible for a Cisco partner like my account is)

I would suggest to open a Cisco service request, where you can get feedback on this.

Generally speaking I don't like the use/abuse of max-prefixes that is done in border routers at internet exchange points: putting limits very close to current number of prefixes requires constant work to adjust these thresholds.

I think it  should be used to avoid to accept a full routing table from someone that should send only 10-20 prefixes but if we use limit 13 when current number of prefixes is 10 and then the peer gets new customers and so it tries to advertise 14 prefixes the session is turned down.

The command also allows a reaction of type warning only to be noted.

Just to say I see every day mails at job of IXP members advertising changes.

Of course it is easier to limit number of prefixes learned by a peer then to build an AS path access-list that reflects current customers of the peer.

Some years ago while studying BGP peering we tried to use the AS set concept: each ISP should mantain the AS SET object on RIPE RIR where a list of AS numbers that can appear in advertisements of the ISP appears.

Unfortunately we have seen by comparing these AS SETs objects with effective advertisements received in different european IXPs that they were not accurate: none used to remove ex customers ASN and some new ones did not appear.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dmitry,

I should have looked at this thread before answering in the other one

if max-prefix triggers 50 BGP sessions to be turned down the router is challenged with loading again all prefixes on each session and this causes high cpu usage.

you can change the reaction to warning-only to avoid to have the sessions terminated.

170 BGP sessions are quite a number. You may consider to split these BGP sessions over multiple devices or to deploy route reflector servers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Thank you for reply.  It looks like you understood me incorrectly.  Our AS leaked the number of the prefixes to the peers and the sessions were blocked on the remote side, not on our side by max-prefix trigger.

--

Thank you anyway,

Dmitry

Hello Dmitry,

sorry for this little misunderstanding

regardless of what side terminated the sessions all of them are restarted and the loading phase starts with the high cpu usage you have seen

On your side you can only configure a route-filter that explicitly permits only expected IP subnets.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

such situation (high CPU load) could be during a whole day while 15 direct eBGP peers still in Active/Idle state.

just someone can reset the session after a few days...  so during a day the sessions will be in Active/Idle state, between our AS will be no sendig any Update messages.

Why just a few Down sessions could be a source of so high CPU load during all time when they are Active or Idle?

--

Have a nice day,

Dmitry

Hi Dmitry,

Let's ignore the fact that your AS leaked the prefixes, since you also say this problem occurs anyway during a normal day of your network. I have an idea, but haven't actually used it in practice to be honest. My understanding is that your side continuously and actively tries to establish sessions and this might be causing this problem. There exists a BGP command "neighbor transport connection-mode {passive | active}". Maybe if you made your side passive, things would be better for you. I am sorry I do not remember where I've read/heard of this and cannot give you detailed documentation about it. My "guess" is that if you make your side passive and the other side is not passive as well, there won't be any issues (the responsibility of actively establishing the sessions is left to your peers). Up to now the only documentation I managed to find is the following command reference, which is not very detailed about possible problems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_bgp4.html#wp1043787

Kind Regards,

Maria

Edit: Ok, I just found this thread in Cisco NSP: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/122263#122263

Maria,

thank you very much!

it is a well-know bug: CSCsy40775

--

Have a nice day,

Dmitry

Hello Dmitry,

Maria has provided a possible remedy and a link where other people with similar device sup720  in similar scenario (many eBGP sessions in an internet exchange point like DECIX) saw high cpu usage when two or mode eBGP sessions are stucked at idle state.

However, the final obejctive is to setup eBGP sessions when the other peer is willing  to accept /start the session.
if the command

neigh x.x.x.x transport connection passive

is given both sides session never come up.

so if a manual change is needed it  becomes similar to using neigh ... shutdown

This is clearly an IOS software bug even if it  is not possible to find an exact match, because bug

CSCsy58115

mentioned in Gossamer forums is related to an increase in memory usage by BGP over time caused by idle BGP sessions and not to a great cpu increase over a so extended time window.

I think a bug exists for this, but it is not visible outside Cisco (for example not visible for a Cisco partner like my account is)

I would suggest to open a Cisco service request, where you can get feedback on this.

Generally speaking I don't like the use/abuse of max-prefixes that is done in border routers at internet exchange points: putting limits very close to current number of prefixes requires constant work to adjust these thresholds.

I think it  should be used to avoid to accept a full routing table from someone that should send only 10-20 prefixes but if we use limit 13 when current number of prefixes is 10 and then the peer gets new customers and so it tries to advertise 14 prefixes the session is turned down.

The command also allows a reaction of type warning only to be noted.

Just to say I see every day mails at job of IXP members advertising changes.

Of course it is easier to limit number of prefixes learned by a peer then to build an AS path access-list that reflects current customers of the peer.

Some years ago while studying BGP peering we tried to use the AS set concept: each ISP should mantain the AS SET object on RIPE RIR where a list of AS numbers that can appear in advertisements of the ISP appears.

Unfortunately we have seen by comparing these AS SETs objects with effective advertisements received in different european IXPs that they were not accurate: none used to remove ex customers ASN and some new ones did not appear.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

thank you very much!

it is a well-know bug: CSCsy40775

--

Have a nice day,

Dmitry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card