Views
Helpful
Replies

Port span on standby switch

santoshvijapur
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am happy to see such a wonderfull community  , supported by cisco . thanks.

I need your  expertise support for the below scenario. please help me

I have Two Switches at clinet place  SW1 is active mode , SW2 is standby mode.

port span configured  on the both the switches  individuall ports  ex soruce port onSW1 fa0/0 destination port fa0/0 vlan 26

on standby switch2 port span configured . source port fa0/0 destination fas0/1  vlan 26 . on SW2 vlan current status is satandby mode.

Mirroed port capturing the data  on the Active SW1 . but on the secondary SW2 (standby) if is connect machine and generate traffic  , data not capturing

both switches configured HSRP . please share your inputs . weather on standby mode  port span works  ?? thanks

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear All,

I am happy to see such a wonderfull community  , supported by cisco . thanks.

I need your  expertise support for the below scenario. please help me

I have Two Switches at clinet place  SW1 is active mode , SW2 is standby mode.

port span configured  on the both the switches  individuall ports  ex soruce port onSW1 fa0/0 destination port fa0/0 vlan 26

on standby switch2 port span configured . source port fa0/0 destination fas0/1  vlan 26 . on SW2 vlan current status is satandby mode.

Mirroed port capturing the data  on the Active SW1 . but on the secondary SW2 (standby) if is connect machine and generate traffic  , data not capturing

both switches configured HSRP . please share your inputs . weather on standby mode  port span works  ?? thanks

Hi Santosh,

As per the span guidlines in cisco switches any traffic between two network nodes on the same network segment attached to a switch port configured as a SPAN source port is not mirrored to the SPAN destination port. You can SPAN local traffic that passes through the switch.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Dear Ganesh,

thanks for the inputs .    connected  VOIP directly on  the standby mode switch  VLAN 26  . I am able to place a call for remote location even the switch Interface VLAN in standby mode . but . traffic not capturing .

If i move theVOIP to Active switch , I am able to place calls  and able to capture the data .

As you said .SPAN concept . any traffic pass on the local switch  it has to capture the data . but on practical scenario on the standby switch  its not working .

please if have more inputs on this

Dear Ganesh,

thanks for the inputs .    connected  VOIP directly on  the standby mode switch  VLAN 26  . I am able to place a call for remote location even the switch Interface VLAN in standby mode . but . traffic not capturing .

If i move theVOIP to Active switch , I am able to place calls  and able to capture the data .

As you said .SPAN concept . any traffic pass on the local switch  it has to capture the data . but on practical scenario on the standby switch its not working .

please if have more inputs on this

Hi Santosh,

I agree with the above said that traffic should be monitored while span is configured in local switch but what i think as your another switch which is active is forwarding the traffic that why only at active switch you are able get the traffic at destination port in active switch and try configure RSPAN as you know that RSPAN traffic from the source ports or VLANs is copied into the RSPAN VLAN and forwarded over trunk ports carrying the SPAN
VLAN to a destination session monitoring the RSPAN VLAN.

Check out the below link on RSPAN hope that help !!

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swspan.pdf

Ganesh.H

Dear Ganesh,

thanks for the tips , let me go through the URL . thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco