Views
Helpful
Replies

strange switch error message

madhusudhan s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

My switch() sudden got rebooted and when i checked the syslog/csmars logs we found below error message.

%C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-IPPPRMINTERRUPTOUTERCRC: IPP PRM outerCrcInt interrupt. valid: 1 superPortId: 0x2D lastCellAddr: 0x23DCD firstCellAddr: 0x23DCC

%C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-IPPPRMINTERRUPTPKTPARITY: IPP PRM pktParityInt interrupt. valid: 306112360 parity_error: 0x1 addr: 0x4

%C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-IPPPRMINTERRUPTOUTERCRC: (Suppressed 27 times)IPP PRM outerCrcInt interrupt. valid: 1 superPortId: 0x38 lastCellAddr: 0x39624 firstCellAddr: 0x39624

%C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-IPPPRMINTERRUPTPKTPARITY: (Suppressed 31 times)IPP PRM pktParityInt interrupt. valid: 306112360 parity_error: 0x1 addr: 0x4

attached the show version output

========================

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(40)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 07-Nov-07 20:14 by prod_rel_team

Image text-base: 0x10000000, data-base: 0x11D86AF8

ROM: 12.2(40r)SG1

Darkside Revision 4, Jawa Revision 14, Tatooine Revision 140, Forerunner Revision 1.71

IND_CYP_FLR6 uptime is 3 minutes

Uptime for this control processor is 3 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System restarted at 23:21:02 IST Tue Jan 26 2010

System image file is "bootflash:cat4500e-ipbasek9-mz.122-40.SG.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco WS-C4510R-E (MPC8548) processor (revision 6) with 524288K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID SPE120100J8

MPC8548 CPU at 1.33GHz, Supervisor 6-E

Last reset from PowerUp

2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

292 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

511K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2101

Looking for some expert to help me on this as i could not find the error on any site..

Regards

Madhu

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Madhu

Did the switch crash ? or did you reboot the switch since you had any issues ? do you have any crashinfo files generated when the switch rebooted ? This looks a new error when compared with the existing %c4k messages... do you have support contract for this switch ? If so you can raise a tac since this is a new error message.... I ran output interpretor but didnt get any response for this message..

Hope this helps.. all the best

Raj

Hi sachin,

thanks.. I opened a TAC for this issue.. and come to know that it is a parity error which is related to hardware issue. as per tac there are 2 types of parity error, one is hard and other soft paraty error.. if it heppen once then it is soft parity error and we can continue with existing switch.. but if heppen again which can be considered as hard parity error then we need to raise RMA for sup... in case of hard parity error the incident will reoccur and frequency of incident increases.

Regard

Madhu..

KDDIPH001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

we encounter same problem. error message logs on WS-C4503-E with supervisor WS-X45-SUP6-E.

Jul 21 02:01:34: %C4K_L2MAN-6-INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET: (Suppressed 825 times)Packet received with invalid source MAC address (00:00:00:00:00:00) on port Te1/1 in vlan 2160

Jul 22 18:06:41: %C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-VFEL2INTERRUPT: VFE L2 Memory interrupt. array: 0, log: 6, valid: 1, addr: 0x498 parity: 1

it seems that this issue as per cisco site support is happening on C4500-E with supervisor 7L-E.

Expert advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Benz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco