Views
Helpful
Replies

Channalized DS3 ready for MPLS

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to MPLS so please bear with me as I get to learn a little about the set of protocols.

Here is our situation. We have a channalized DS3 for internet access, and we just aquired a smaller company. Right now we have a site-to-site IPSEC tunnel with them and eventhough that is working fine, I want to have alternatives to scaling our network when it comes to remote offices. So the first thing I thought of were MPLS VPNs. I have read they scale well because goes away from the hub and spoke model to a any-to-any model. I like that.

So my questions are:

1. Can I peel off a channel of my DS3 to use for my end of the MPLS tunnel?

2. My counterpart in the remote office would then have to get some telco circuit with the same Provider correct?

3. We are putting in VOIP solution here at the main office that we want to use company wise. Does that change the kind of MPLS solution we need to implement.

4. Having said what I have said so far, does MPLS sound like the right fit? We are a growing company and I assume having more remote offices will continue.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give,

Pedro

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pedro,

1)  if you are able to define a logical serial interface equivalent to a full T1 or E1 or multiple T1/E1  and there is cooperation of an external ADM, RED you can get a "second link" that can be connected to the MPLS service provider network.

2) correct

3) VoIP deployment is a good reason for going with MPLS VPN because MPLS can give better QoS then a mesh of IPSec tunnels over the internet

4) yes MPLS VPN can be a solution.

To complete the possible solutions could include dynamic multipoint VPN over the internet that is scalable but Cisco proprieatary (would require cisco devices in all remote devices). Usage of DMVPN to carry VoIP traffic has been reported

Hope to help

Giuseppe