cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tag based on IP Address?

mjoshbaird
Level 1
Level 1

I have a  endor is telling me I can vlan tag based on IP address.. ie, if 1.1.1.1/24 hits an accessport, tag it with VLAN1, if 1.2.2.2/24 hits the same access port, tag it with VLAN2.. but since VLANs are at Layer 2, I don't see how this is possible. Would you agree?

The switch is a 3560.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure a switchport as switchport access dynamic but you do need a VMPS server in your environment.

For more information, please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli3.html#wp2561800

Regards

Edison.

It is my understanding that VMPS only dynamically tags based on MAC address, not IP address.. or is this incorrect?

You are correct.

While you can dynamically change the switchport access vlan with VMPS relying on the source MAC address, you can't change it relying on the source IP address unless the vendor is trying to sell you some 3rd party product that works along with your switch.

Regards

Edison

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mjoshbaird wrote:

I have a  endor is telling me I can vlan tag based on IP address.. ie, if 1.1.1.1/24 hits an accessport, tag it with VLAN1, if 1.2.2.2/24 hits the same access port, tag it with VLAN2.. but since VLANs are at Layer 2, I don't see how this is possible. Would you agree?

The switch is a 3560.

Thanks

Josh

In addition to VMPS you can also do dynamic vlan assignment with 802.1x and a radius server but as far as i know you can only do this based on user credentials not IP.

Would be interesting to see how the vendor proposes it can be done.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card