cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign a public IP address to serve behind a ASA 5505?

jksnook
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to assign a public IP address to the physical interface of a server that resides on the DMZ of a ASA 5505?

I have a server requirement to avoid NAT and assign a public IP address directly to the interface.  Is this possible while the server is physically plugged into the DMZ interface?

Thanks,

J

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jksnook wrote:

Is it possible to assign a public IP address to the physical interface of a server that resides on the DMZ of a ASA 5505?

I have a server requirement to avoid NAT and assign a public IP address directly to the interface.  Is this possible while the server is physically plugged into the DMZ interface?

Thanks,

J

It's possible but only if your DMZ interface and any other devices on the DMZ use addresses out of the same subnet. If not it won't work because the ASA will not support secondary addressing on an interface.

Jon

To clarify:

Our DMZ is setup to provide NAT and inbound ACL services for external addresses in the range of 206.127.x.x to internal address of 172.16.1.x

I would like to assign 206.127.x.100 to a server's NIC that is plugged into the DMZ network.

So I believe the answer to your statement below "but only if your DMZ interface and any other devices on the DMZ use  addresses out of the same subnet" is true.  We are using IP addresses out of the same subnet that I want to assign to the servers NIC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card