cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1.0.0.0/8 Now Routable?

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

I was informed by a colleague that the 001/8 IPv4 address space was just allocated to APNIC by the IANA.

001/8    APNIC    2010-01    whois.apnic.net    ALLOCATED  

What does this do to certain devices (some of our Cisco Wireless Lan Controllers for example) that use addresses in this range by default for internal use?

ie: The WLC uses 1.1.1.1 for web-authentication.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rcoote5902 wrote:

I was informed by a colleague that the 001/8 IPv4 address space was just allocated to APNIC by the IANA.

What does this do to certain devices (some of our Cisco Wireless Lan Controllers for example) that use addresses in this range by default for internal use?

If the 1.0.0.0/8 network is now in use (and i don't know whether it is or not) then there are 2 key points to be aware of -

1) You might not be able to get some 1.x.x.x addresses on the internet if you wanted to because your routing tables might have 1.x.x.x entries for some of your internal devices

2) you need to make sure you do not "leak" these internal addresses onto the internet

Apart from that you should be fine.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

10/8

172.16/12

192.168/16

There are private addresses and you can use them internally with no problems.  They are not routable over the Internet and are filter by ISPs.

If you have to get to the outside world (Internet) and using privated IPs internally then you have to use NAT.

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rcoote5902 wrote:

If the 1.0.0.0/8 network is now in use (and i don't know whether it is or not) then there are 2 key points to be aware of -

1) You might not be able to get some 1.x.x.x addresses on the internet if you wanted to because your routing tables might have 1.x.x.x entries for some of your internal devices

2) you need to make sure you do not "leak" these internal addresses onto the internet

Apart from that you should be fine.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco