Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribution problem (2 networks)

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sirs

I have one problem which I can not think a way how to solve it. As you can see from the diagram I have 2 networks . One of the network is running RIP version 1 and the other EIGRP. I want to connect the Switch A to Switch B so both networks can communicate.

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine. Now I want to include also Switch A in the network . My problem is that if I connect Switch A to Switch B , Switch A is Layer 2 and I can not configure redistribution on it. Of course Switch B is 4500 series and it’s running Full EIGRP on it.

If I connect the 2 switches what shall i do so all the routes from both networks can be exchanged ?

Thanks a lot

Moses

29 Jan 2010

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

moses12315 wrote:

Yes Jon, i am sorry it was quite confused. What i meant is that i connected at the past (3 days)

ago the L3 Switch (Switch B) with the Router 1 and after i did redistribution it worked.(Router 1---> Switch B---> Router 2).

The problem is that i want to connect Switch A in the network (Router 1 --> Switch A ---> Switch B---> Router B).(Don't forget Switch A is a 2950 Switch L2)

As i understood you told me to do this connection and the routes from Rip and Eigrp will be exchanged. Am i right?

I will try it on Monday and i will informed you .

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

Moses

No problem.

Yes it will work fine as long as you use the same vlan on both ports on Switch A your routing and redistribution will not be affected.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

moses12315 wrote:

Dear sirs

I have one problem which I can not think a way how to solve it. As you can see from the diagram I have 2 networks . One of the network is running RIP version 1 and the other EIGRP. I want to connect the Switch A to Switch B so both networks can communicate.

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine. Now I want to include also Switch A in the network . My problem is that if I connect Switch A to Switch B , Switch A is Layer 2 and I can not configure redistribution on it. Of course Switch B is 4500 series and it’s running Full EIGRP on it.

If I connect the 2 switches what shall i do so all the routes from both networks can be exchanged ?

Thanks a lot

Moses

29 Jan 2010

Moses

It's not clear what you mean by -

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine.

Is router A the one running RIP ?

If so then you can simply add the L2 switch in between and this will not affect any L3 route redistribution. Simply connect Switch B to a port on Switch A and connect router A to another port on Switch A and make sure the ports are in the same vlan and it will all work.

If router A is not the one running RIP could you clarify.

Jon

Yes Jon, i am sorry it was quite confused. What i meant is that i connected at the past (3 days)

ago the L3 Switch (Switch B) with the Router 1 and after i did redistribution it worked.(Router 1---> Switch B---> Router 2).

The problem is that i want to connect Switch A in the network (Router 1 --> Switch A ---> Switch B---> Router B).(Don't forget Switch A is a 2950 Switch L2)

As i understood you told me to do this connection and the routes from Rip and Eigrp will be exchanged. Am i right?

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

moses12315 wrote:

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

Moses

No problem.

Yes it will work fine as long as you use the same vlan on both ports on Switch A your routing and redistribution will not be affected.

Jon

Dear Jon,

You were right one more time. I did as you told me and it works fine.

Thanks a lot for your help. Even though i do not understand the theory behind all this , at long as it works i am happy.

Thanks again for your help .

Moses

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card