Cisco Support Tools - Support for CUCM

Unanswered Question
Jan 29th, 2010

Hi

Just been reading through the IPCC Cisco Support Tools 2.4.1 suser Guide and the V2.0 data sheet and neither make it very clear that support tools do not interwork with the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (previously CallManager) V5.0 upwards. The user guide does explicitly state support is for V3 and V4 CCM but given any new deployments will most likely be using the newer V7 (Linux based) it shoudl be made miuch clearer that they are not supported. I have just had to explain to my customer that yes the support tools documentation does say it supports CallManager, but even though the CUCM is the newer version of CCM, it actually is not supported.

I thnk the message is lost in that even Cisco personnel still refer to CUCM as CallManager and customers get confused and don't immediately recognise that there are major differences between CUCM and CCM.

Cheers

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
hweisert Fri, 02/05/2010 - 03:28

Hi,

Thank you for alerting us to the possibly confusing information in the IPCC Cisco Support Tools 2.4.1 User Guide and the V2.0 Data Sheet.

Although these are Support documents, we'd like to help get the confusion resolved, but need to make sure we understand the issue. Here's what I think you're saying: please correct me if I've got it wrong.

You have customers who think, Oh, CallManager and CUCM are the same thing, so if something says it supports CCM they don't necessarily read the fine print.

To avoid this confusion specifically in the Support Tools User Guide, we could include not only what is supported (V3 and V4 CCM) but what is not, such as:

"V5 and later, now known as CUCM, are Linux-based and are not supported by IPCC Cisco Support Tools."

On the broader question of Cisco people referring to CUCM as CallManager, maybe we need to be more clear in our usage what version we are talking about, because there are major differences after V5 - not just a name change!

Let me know if that's it and and thanks again,

Hilde

Actions

This Discussion