Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity behaviour when changing subscriber's email in Exchange

amaia.lesta
Level 4
Level 4

Dear all,

We have a Unity 5.0 server integrated with Excahnge 2003. I want to know how Unity will behave if the email address of a subscriber is changed in AD.

- Will any change in unity be required to keep the subscriber getting his voicemail in the email?

- Do I need to remove the user and create it again?

- Will he lost the old messages?

Thanks in advance for your kind support.

Best regards,

Amaia

4 Replies 4

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you changing their email? Are you just changing the Email address (smtp etc in properties in AD) or are you actually removing one Exchagne mailbox and recreating a new one for them? If you are actually doing the latter then yes, a removal and re-import into Unity via SAweb would be in order.

Tray

Thank you Tray.

First of all, I am not an expert in AD and Exchange. I was just changing the email properties in the AD user. What is the different between doing it in this way or performing the second one you propose?

Amaia

One changes the email address attributes but doesn't change where the mailbox is or it's logical location etc. Can you give me more details as to what you are changing and where you are changing it. If it's clear enough, I might be able to do the same thing in my lab and see what the result is.

Tray

Dear Tray,

I have just solved my problem. It was caused by my lack of knoledge about AD.

My problem was this: I had several unity subscribers which are AD users with Exchange email addresses. The email address and the Name were wrong.

I wanted to change them without loosing the existing messages.

What I have done is this:

1 - In the 'Active Directory users and Computers' tool  I have search the user.

2 - Right click in the user --> 'Properties' --> 'Exchange General  I have changed the Alias to the value I wanted.

3 - Right click in the user --> ' Rename' --> I set the value I wanted and in the next screen I also set it as logon user value.

Then I have followed this instructions:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1893

1.       On the Cisco Unity server, choose Start > Run > services.msc, and restart these two services:

o        AvDSAD

o        AvGlobalCatalog

2.       Open the Cisco Unity Admin page.

3.       Choose subscribers, and click the find a subscriber button.

4.       Find the user that is modified in Active Directory. At this point, the changes made in Active Directory are reflected in Cisco Unity.

And now the name/alias/email address has the value I need without deleting anything.

Thank you for your help anyway.

Amaia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: