cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 Trunk group Outbound failing on FXS ports

BILL BARTLETT
Level 1
Level 1

I have a VG224 which is configured as a combination of MGCP and H.323 (We have a UCM 6.01)  I have a group of H.323 FXS ports on the gateway configured as being members of a trunk group and I have a dial-peer which is set to use that trunk group.  My problem is that a "show dial peer" always shows "Outbound state is down".  Consequently, when a call arrives, the dial peer is never selected.  If I change the dial peer to reference the voice ports directly, it works fine but the trunk group always fails.

I am using H.323 because I need the DNIS digits to pass through to the fax server on the other side of the VG224.  The fax server will route the faxes based on the called number.  MGCP won't pass DNIS digits to the port.

I called TAC and spoke with them about it and they were able to recreate it in the lab.  They said that basically Trunk groups won't work with H.323.  and that I should switch to SCCP. Then create a hunt group in callmanager and let it manage port selection.

My questions are:

Can TAC be correct on this or should I escalate and see if someone else has a solution? I can't believe H.323 can't use an outbound trunk group!!

What are the issues if I transition from H.323 and MGCP to SCCP on my VG224?

Attached is a text file with an abreviated sho run, sho dial-peer 600 and debut voip ccapi inout

Issue is resolved.  I rebooted the unit and it resolved all the issues.  System works fine.  Just like the documentation indicated it would.  Thanks TAC

Message was edited by: BILL BARTLETT

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

H.323 can indeed work with trunk groups. I did FXS TG's on CME, for example.

post version and some relevant output commands.