2960 Configuration using Initial Prompt-Driven Mechanism

Unanswered Question
Jan 29th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I normally configure a switch such as a 2960 by opting out of the initial 'out-of-the-box' prompt-driven question and answer configuration mechanism and just configuring from scratch myself but on a recent configuration task, I decided to use this prompt-driven mechanism. It seems pretty standard stuff except for one strange (to me) element: I was prompted which port would be used for the management network. I wan't allowed to ignore so just said FastEthernet0/1 but what does this actually mean? Does it mean that this port cannot be used for connecting 'ordinary' (non management-network) IP addresses? Does it mean that this port is only on the management VLAN (if VLANS are in use)? Is it trunk mode or access mode?

Would appreciate any pointers on this.

Thanks,

John.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sachinraja Fri, 01/29/2010 - 10:19
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi John

Did it ask you the port which will be connected to management, or just the interface which will be used for management ? I could see that the initial 2960 setup would have :

Enter interface name used to connect to the

management network from the above interface summary: vlan1

This is basically the logical VLAN that is defined on the swtich, which will be used for management, and not the physical interface.. for eg if your switch has all ports configured for VLAN 10, you would enter the management vlan as vlan 10..

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content