cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Mode, Server, Client, or Transparent?

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 2 6509 switches at the core of my network acting in a redundant manner.  For my L2 vlans, the primary 6509 switch is setup as a priority of 4096, and my secondary 6509 of 8192, both are configured at VTP servers.  Not sure if this is best practice or not.  I want to bring a 3rd 6509 online in another building to act as a 3rd 6509 core in the event the other 2 go down, or the connection between the building is lost.  Should I configure this one as a vtp server as well, and set the priority to  16384?

thanks.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

david-flores wrote:

I currently have 2 6509 switches at the core of my network acting in a redundant manner.  For my L2 vlans, the primary 6509 switch is setup as a priority of 4096, and my secondary 6509 of 8192, both are configured at VTP servers.  Not sure if this is best practice or not.  I want to bring a 3rd 6509 online in another building to act as a 3rd 6509 core in the event the other 2 go down, or the connection between the building is lost.  Should I configure this one as a vtp server as well, and set the priority to  16384?

thanks.

David

It is a good idea to have 2 VTP servers so you have done the right thing there in terms of best practice.

You could make the 3rd 6500 a VTP server as well. It wouldn't break anything as such and yes if you want it to become the STP root you would need to configure it with 16384.

What i'm not clear on is if the 2 6500s fail in the first building how will the other switches connected to them get to the 3rd 6500 in the other building. Are you going to uplink the other switches to this one as well.

How resilient/redundant do you need your network to be ? Most designs work perfectly well with 2 6500s so i was wondering what the requirements were behind adding a 3rd.

Jon

We are actually planning on setting up a backup data center in the building with the 3rd 6500,

so basically it would take over as the core switch

for this other building.  There are 5 other wire closets in this building that support a number

of other switches.  We are not really too concerned with the other switch connections that link

to the other pair of 6500's.  Thanks for your response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco