cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can you Connect Cisco switch modules for to N2K?

ncfb-awarsame
Level 1
Level 1

I have not seen anything about connecting Cisco Switch modules for Blade Chassis to fex.  Does anybody now if you can do that?

thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

No you can not and this not meant to be.

The N2K is a NIC card extender. You can not connect a switch, the FEX does not run spanning tree.

See this as a solution that makes cabling to your servers easier  and provides an uplink of 40 GB

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only the Nexus 5000 series support the FEX right now.

Regards,

jerry

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

No you can not and this not meant to be.

The N2K is a NIC card extender. You can not connect a switch, the FEX does not run spanning tree.

See this as a solution that makes cabling to your servers easier  and provides an uplink of 40 GB

thank you Lucien.

I think you got a right name for N2Ks, a NIC card extender.  In my opion N2K should be able to support Blade switches. Not every company has just rack mount servers, most enviroment is mixed. In my case, I run out ports on N5K, but plenty available on N2K.  I want add two more blade centers with gig switch modules in them. now I have to buy a N5K!!!.  I'm sure Cisco can make N2K to support switches too.

If you are interested the Nexus for Blade Server, there is Nexus 4000 available for IBM Blade Server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps10596/ps10642/data_sheet_c78-560881_ps10596_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: