cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to span 1 port to multiple destination ports?

abrrymnvette
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 2950 switch. I was wondering if it's possible to span one source port to multiple destination ports or a destination VLAN? I've read that it can be done and I've read that it can't be done.

If it can't with the switch does anyone know anything better than a hub to use?

Reason I ask is I have a IDS setup on a couple different platforms and wanted to test to make sure they all were able to catch the same thing on each one.

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I think it really depends on the hardware and software OS version...

The 2950 i think just supports one detination port on SPAN...The following URL confirms this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_11_yj4/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1036816

From the document it clearly says - "You can have only one destination port. "

whereas layer 2 swtiches like 2960 with 12.2 (40)SE IOS, can support multiple destinations... refer the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swspan.html

on the command set you can see:

monitor session session_number destination {interface interface-id [, | -] [encapsulation {dot1q | replicate}]}

Note You can use monitor session session_number destination command multiple times to configure multiple destination ports.

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a Catalyst 2950 switch. I was wondering if it's possible to span one source port to multiple destination ports or a destination VLAN? I've read that it can be done and I've read that it can't be done.

If it can't with the switch does anyone know anything better than a hub to use?

Reason I ask is I have a IDS setup on a couple different platforms and wanted to test to make sure they all were able to catch the same thing on each one.

Hi,

As per the span guidelines by cisco for cat 2950 switches you can have only one destination port.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: