This discussion is locked

ASK THE EXPERT - CUCM 7.1

Unanswered Question
Jan 29th, 2010

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation.  This is an opportunity to learn more about Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1 and the new features with Cisco expert Jaime Valencia.  Jaime is a PDI Escalation Engineer at Cisco specializing in the Cisco Unified Communications portfolio of solutions. As part of the Planning, Design and Implementation (PDI) Escalation Team, he provides help to Cisco partners who hold a Cisco Unified Communications specialization before their systems go live. Previously he was a support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. Jaime holds CCNA and CCVP certifications.

Remember to use the rating system to let Jaime know if you have received an adequate response.

Jaime might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 12, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 4.6 (9 ratings)
falves1 Sat, 01/30/2010 - 20:05

Please find attached the sound file, which is a debit card app prompt in g729. The format has proprietary header and no sound utility can translate from a  regular wav file to this format, not even sox. I also tried to use *.g729 files from Asterisk but no avail. The question is, if I have a set of regular high quality wav files, how do I get this specific format so my cisco does not spend CPU transcoding it, since all my communications are already in g729. Please contact me at philip_38 at hot m a i l.

Yours

Philip

testeven Mon, 02/01/2010 - 18:59
Hi Philip, 

You can select the MOH Supported Codecs by going into CUCM Admin Page > Service > Service Parameters > under "server" selected any
callmanager server > under "service" select "Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App" > and look forthe parameter "Supported MOH Codecs" >
You can select all codecs listed there by holding the Ctrl key and save the changes.
Supported MOH codecs: This parameter specifies the codec (compression/decompression) types
that the Music on Hold system should support. Choose one or more codec types by pressing the Ctrl key. Be aware that the G.729a codec is
optimized for speech, and, when used for music, the audio quality is very marginal. G.729 Annex A is compatible with G.729.

Regards,

Teresa Stevens
-----
Cisco Systems
Unified Communications PDI Team
www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk
falves1 Tue, 02/02/2010 - 04:56

I have a Cisco 5400 and 7301 Ip2IP gateway with DSPs. How do I convert a simple wav file to a ¨*.au" with the g729 codec? Cisco must have a utility available somewhere. I tried using a codec converter from the g729 manufacturer, and it does not work. I think that Cisco uses a proprietary header. Can you please escalate the issue? My company has dozens of Cisco boxes and now we realized that our debut card application would benefit from having native g729 prompts, so the CPU does not have to transcoe ulaw files over and over.

Naveen Raj Janardhan Wed, 02/03/2010 - 09:46

Hi Jamie,

I am pretty sure you hear this all the time Anyway, I 'd prefer to ask again. Here is a breif outline of what we did.

We did an upgarde from CCM 4.2 to 7.0.2 last year. We have all functionalities retained and have a few more additional ones. We now plan to upgrade to version 7.1. There is too much of confusion flying around that the Attendant Console feature will not be retained in the 7.1 version, and even if it did, it will not be seen as a plugin on the Administration page.

Can you or anyone clarify this confusion?

Thanks,

Naveen

Jaime Valencia Wed, 02/03/2010 - 14:37

There has certainly been a lot of confussion on this ever since 7.x started shipping.

The AC plugin is available for 7.x only for upgrades.

If you had 4.X it means AC should have already been configured and you used DMA for the upgrade.

If you were on 5.x/6.x then AC also had to be configured and the upgrade was using the OS upgrade option.

You will keep the AC plugin for the 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade if you had it already in 7.0.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman Thu, 02/04/2010 - 06:03

Hey Java,

+5 points for you continued Great work!!

I just saw this "Ask the Expert" and wanted to say thanks for taking

the time out of your busy schedule to host this event. You should get

the Moderators to post this up on the IP Telephony Forum page as I think you'll

get a lot more hits over there

I wanted to run a scenario by you to get your feedback.

If you had a 3 server cluster (1 Pub - 2 Subs) and you were upgrading from 4.x

to 7.x and you only had one new MCS server to use (so 2 would be re-purposed).

We'll make the assumption that the one new server would be used for the new Publisher

so that the DMA and 7.x upgrade could be ready before "D-Day". What process would you

use to upgrade the remaining two Subs??

Any thought or good docs you have created to help your customers.

Cheers!

Huff

Jaime Valencia Thu, 02/04/2010 - 09:05

Wow, a question from the Huff-man!! not something that happens every day.

The procedure i usually follow is the one oulined here:

Install Software from a DVD on a Subsequent Node

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_1_2/install/cmins712.html#wp485604

A nicer explanation i've found and that gives you a step by step is this one:

Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager on a New Subscriber Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_1_2/cluster/clstr712.html#wp97669

Which comes from the" Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2)" doc.

As you know it'll take some time for the info to replicate and the SDL layer to be in sync so everything runs smoothly.

HTH

java

Rob Huffman Thu, 02/04/2010 - 10:03

Hey Java,

Lots of questions here in my brain these days (and not many answers

Thanks for posting up such an excellent answer my friend, +5 points for this!

I'll take a good close look at this methodology....much appreciated.

Cheers! And thanks again buddy!

Huff

Marwan ALshawi Sat, 02/06/2010 - 04:08

hi java

i have question about CUCM 7 tranformation number with access list

if i have a VG configured with tranformation mask to add +1 for example to the calling numner ( normally this will apear during ringing stage)

at the same time i have RDP configured and i want to block some source calling numbers from being forwarded to the RDP destination such as a mobile number using access list with a patren

do i use the calling number to be matched ( in the access list pattren) as the source,  with +1 or without ?

thank you

Jaime Valencia Mon, 02/08/2010 - 06:54

Let me double check on that, but you AFAIK, you should configure the ACL with the +1 as the RDP basically works as a shared line and should receive the same info you get on your phone.

I'll look into this and post if i find differently.

HTH

java

sean_evershed Mon, 02/08/2010 - 04:42

Hi,

I'm seeking guidance about what sort of firewall rules I should be implementing on an ASA 5520 runinng 7.2 for the CUPC clients.

They are connecting to the customer's site via a Cisco VPN client over the Internet.

Thanks

Jaime Valencia Mon, 02/08/2010 - 06:48

ASA is not a product i cover, this ask the expert is on CUCM 7.1

You can review CUPC network requirements here:

Release Notes for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator Release 7.0 and 7.0(2)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/7_0/english/release/notes/ol15710.html

Further questions on non-CUCM 7.1 subjects please open a new thread on the Suppot Community.

HTH

java

triandi_sugiharto Tue, 02/09/2010 - 01:44

Hi Jaime,

Currently, i setting up CUCM BE 7.1 and i need assistance to configure Auto Attendant. Could you please help me?

Thanks.

bapi_italy Tue, 02/09/2010 - 05:11

Please anyone help me with this question. In our production, at first we have upgraded the Publisher and other 2 Subsribers from CUCM Ver 6.0 to 6.1.2 However, then we had decided to shift one of the Subscirber to DR site, therefore we disconnected the 2nd subscriber from the publisher and deleted it from the PUB as this subscriber must have another ip address of the Vlan belonging to DR site. So all the servers had 6.1.2 versions but due to some bugs we had to upgrade the Pub and the first subscriber to ver 6.1.4 and the process went on smoothly. However, when we tried to upgrade the 2nd Subscriber,connecting to the Pub, even though upgrade took place but the version has not switched over. Off course we have changed the ip address of the server in question, however, it was added into the Pub before the upgrade.Most probably, there is a database issue of unsynchronization. Do you thing is it possible to make a fresh upgrade intall of the server with the patch  of 6.1.4 or issuing the commands for synchronization from the Pub will solve the problem. Since , we are in production, we do not want to disturb the Publisher at present.

[email protected]

Jaime Valencia Tue, 02/09/2010 - 08:27

If your PUB is already on 6.1(4) and you left the other server in any other version you cannot upgrade it.

The upgrade process is apply the upgrade patch to ALL servers, and then start switching versions.

The only options are to go back to the same version you have on the troubled sub and then redo the upgrade, or do a fresh install on that server and configure it as a SUB with 6.1(4).

You need to order fresh install media for 6.1(4), all that's on CCO is just for upgrade, not for fresh installs.

No way to sync the DBs, they need to be all in the same version.

HTH

java

Jaime Valencia Tue, 02/09/2010 - 08:23

The AA most people configure is 90% in CUC but only 10% in CUCM.

Basic config in CUCM is just a CTI RP with CFA to VM.

In CUC create a call handler with the same DN you used for the CTI and record the greeting (You've reached bla bla, for sales press 1, etc).

Then just create as many call handlers as necessary for the options you'll have under caller input for the above CH.

HTH

java

triandi_sugiharto Tue, 02/09/2010 - 20:46

Hi java!

Thank you for your help. It is work! But when there is person call to AA from outside then dial the extension number he wish to call, the extension is ringing with caller id voicemail pilot number not the real number of outside caller. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

triandi_sugiharto Wed, 02/10/2010 - 01:02

Hi java!

You're really help me. Thank you very much!

I want to rate you, but can't find the menu in your given link. Could you please tell me?

Thanks.

bapi_italy Wed, 02/10/2010 - 03:51

If SRST feature is an intergral part  of cisco IOS used by  2800 series ISR routers, then do I still need SRST lincenses for cisco phones for branch offices. When do  I need to buy SRST lincenses ? What are the differences between call manager fall back and telephone service configuration. 

Jaime Valencia Wed, 02/10/2010 - 06:18

The topic for this ask the expert is CUCM 7.1, non CUCM 7.1 questions please open a separate thread on the Support Community.

call-manager-fallback is SRST

telephony-service is CME

HTH

java

Jaime Valencia Wed, 02/10/2010 - 06:21

Visit the ask the expert webpage (you should have a link to it if you're receiving email notifications) log with your credentials, and there are stars below each reply, you can use them to rate.

java

hammad.saleem Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:35

Hi,

Is there any way I can silently monitor an extension that is running on Cisco IP Communicator? I am running CUCM version 7.

Regards,

Hammad.

Jaime Valencia Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:51

CUCM does not provide monitoring capabilities, you would need something like UCCX/UCCE or a 3rd party app to do this.

EDIT: also, please DO NOT duplicate posts

HTH

java

thomas.paul Thu, 02/11/2010 - 01:08

Hi Jaime,

We are using CUCM 7.0

I have scenario where a hotel room with 2 ip phone in the bed room and a sip phone in the bathroom as emergency phone.  All phones including sip phone share same directory number and a incoming call make all phone to ring at the same time and all phones are configured to make outgoing calls as well.  

What we are looking for is,  the bathroom phone  should be able to function as above said and incase  the bathroom phone is off hook and not pressing any digit for 7 second then the  phone should ring at the emergency number XXX automatically.

is there any way to configure it ?

please shed your advise on this subject.

Regards

PT

Jaime Valencia Thu, 02/11/2010 - 06:23

You'll need to explain what model or what kind of SIP phone you're using.

The 1st thought is to change T302 to 7 seconds, configure a regular PLAR and also a pattern with just X which overlaps so in case no digits are dialed you match the blank TP

HTH

java

thomas.paul Thu, 02/11/2010 - 10:31

hi,

We are using Telematix 3300TRM-IP sip phone.

if we configure a PLAR  with just X which will make the phone to dialout as soon as it receives one digit from the user where the user might try to make a call out.   As i mentioned, this phone is to make regular outgoing calls as well.

Jaime Valencia Thu, 02/11/2010 - 10:37

Then just creating the PLAR, but instead of just having the partition from the blank pattern, if the CSS overlaps with other DNs it should wait until the T302 and since there is no dial pattern it will match the blank one from the PLAR after the timer expires.

FYI: In any case you can uncheck the urgent priority in 7.1 and this avoids hitting the TP with just 1 digit.

HTH

java

Ginger Dillon Thu, 02/11/2010 - 11:35

Hi Java -

From your experience, what 7.1 features have been most wanted by customers?  And secondly, there are a number of 7.1(Xx) versions like 7.1(3a), 7.1(4) etc.  What do you recommend between these different levels for customers wanting to upgrade?  Thank you in advance for all of your input and expertise on this forum!!

Sincerely,

Ginger

Jaime Valencia Fri, 02/12/2010 - 06:33

Hey Ginger, appreciate your words =)

From the top of my head, i've used or partners have been asking recently about this:

Uncheck urgent priority in translation patterns
New phone models 9900
Intelligent conference bridge selection

ISR G2

A lot of customers are already receiving their new 99XX series so the minimum i'd recommend would be CUCM 7.1(3)su1 which also gives you the new ISRs G2.

As you know the recommendation is always to keep up to date with the new CUCM releases but i usually wait about a month because sometimes they are released and quickly deferred because they had some big issue. For the time being i'd say upgrade to 7.1(3)su1 and then give 7.1(5) (couple of months away) some time before upgrading to that release.

HTH

java

Ginger Dillon Fri, 02/12/2010 - 07:50

Hi -

Awesome - just the info I was looking for :-)  I'm sure this post will be of value to others as well!!

Sincerely, Ginger

javier-rosas Thu, 02/11/2010 - 20:06

There is a way to do a simultaneous call to various ip phones where they can auto answer but without a fixed configuration in the phones for auto answer mode ?

Jaime Valencia Thu, 02/11/2010 - 21:18

The answer to your 2 posts is NO, what you're looking for is paging which is not included in any CUCM release. You need a 3rd party for that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

javier-rosas Thu, 02/11/2010 - 19:51

Can I do a call to simultaneous ip phones where the phones auto answers without using an external server?

Thank´s

Actions

This Discussion