NSS 4000: Two RAID 1 possible?

Unanswered Question
Jan 30th, 2010

Hello,

I couldn't find an answer to this question in the administrators guide:

Is it possible to set up 2 different RAID 1 on the NSS 4000, e. g. drive 1 + 2 as RAID A and drive 3 + 4 as RAID B?

I don't mean a RAID 10 but two seperate RAID 1.

I hope someone can answer this question.

Torkzadeh

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Hornstein Tue, 02/02/2010 - 22:12

Hi Torkzadeh,

The Administrator Guide does say that;

RAID1:
• Minimum Number of Disks: 2
• Total capacity: m
• Advantages: Increased reliability. The array can sustain the loss of all but one disk without any data loss. Each mirror disk added to the array
"

Ok,  the maximum number of drives in a RAID 1 is two,  and you can have 4 drives in a NSS4000.

The GUI capture taken from the Administrators guide below  shows  the opportunity to add a separate RAID 1 array.  You will note there are two spare drives in that NSS4000, so to make use of those new raid devices, they would have to be added to a different RAID 1 array

It's a funny sort of example, as the disk sizes are dissimilar, which means that the resulting RAID1 array will end up being as big as the smallest drive in that RAID array.

There is also newer Cisco-ised software available for download for the NSS4000 and the NSS6000. This new software  which contains some software enhancements as well as placing Cisco logo in the GUI.  Those changes are not reflected in the screen shot below, but the new GUI is just about identical to the old GUI , just some extra features and options.

22222.JPG

I will paste the link to the Administrators guide for your reference;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/nass/csbcdp/nss/nss4000_nss6000/administration/guide/NSS4000_6000_AG_V1.14.pdf

Hope this helps,

regards Dave

Torkzadeh Tue, 02/16/2010 - 11:24

Hi Dave,

thank you for your response.

My intention for a change from RAID 5 to two RAID 1 systems is the hope for an increased transfer speed, but I couldn´t find a hint if this idea is right.

The transfer speed of the NSS 4000 is, like mentioned from others in this forum, not quite exciting.

I searched the internet for this topic but could´t really find an answer to my question.

RAID 5 might be slowed down due to the processing time for calculation the parity data while it might be faster than RAID 1 as the data is splitted over three disks resulting in a better accessing time. Are there any test results comparing reading and writing speed of a RAID 1 to that of a RAID 5 system?

BTW, transfer speed is for sure not a problem of my network hardware, as it is a full gigabit network setup from the NICs, the switch, cables and plugs and.....

Thank you in advance

Torkzadeh

David Hornstein Tue, 02/16/2010 - 19:06

Hi Torkzadeh,,

Check out the Tolly report on a member of the NSS family, it will show you  roughly the  performance you should get .

Click here

regards Dave

Actions

This Discussion