Adding an additional port to working etherchannel bundle

Answered Question

Is there any method to adding an additional trunk link to an existing/working etherchannel bundle? Everytime I bundle several trunks between 2 2950's, everything works fine, then when I try to add another port after hooking up another cable, it always brings down the whole bundle (Port-channel) link. All links go completely off (no lights) with an errdisable. I have looked at a lot of show commands but nothing jumps out. Anybody want to suggest any general guidlines in doing this that has experience with this? I don't think it's possible to troubleshoot the issue over the forum, but perhaps some general guidlines in adding the additional trunk to the bundle would be appreciated and I will try them on my next build. Thanks in advance.

Correct Answer by glen.grant about 7 years 1 month ago

You need to bring all the ports up at the same time.  Do a shut on the portchannel SVI  .    Add the new port to the channel group,"channel-group X mode on " .   Then do a no shut on the port channel SVI ( interface port channel x) .

Correct Answer by Reza Sharifi about 7 years 1 month ago

Error disable is because the mode in on on. change it to

channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml#errdisable

HTH

Reza

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
glen.grant Sat, 01/30/2010 - 18:53
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

You need to bring all the ports up at the same time.  Do a shut on the portchannel SVI  .    Add the new port to the channel group,"channel-group X mode on " .   Then do a no shut on the port channel SVI ( interface port channel x) .

Actions

This Discussion