cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding an additional port to working etherchannel bundle

stevec90
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any method to adding an additional trunk link to an existing/working etherchannel bundle? Everytime I bundle several trunks between 2 2950's, everything works fine, then when I try to add another port after hooking up another cable, it always brings down the whole bundle (Port-channel) link. All links go completely off (no lights) with an errdisable. I have looked at a lot of show commands but nothing jumps out. Anybody want to suggest any general guidlines in doing this that has experience with this? I don't think it's possible to troubleshoot the issue over the forum, but perhaps some general guidlines in adding the additional trunk to the bundle would be appreciated and I will try them on my next build. Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Error disable is because the mode in on on. change it to

channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml#errdisable

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to bring all the ports up at the same time.  Do a shut on the portchannel SVI  .    Add the new port to the channel group,"channel-group X mode on " .   Then do a no shut on the port channel SVI ( interface port channel x) .

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

stevec90
Level 1
Level 1

PS: The issue probably has something to do with the timers, (and the errdisable expired) because I just fired up both switches and now all 5 trunks

are working in the bundle.....   Perhaps BPDU guard? I do not have Portfast enabled (obviously).

One method that just solved the issue is to do all the logical configuration before plugging in the cable. Doesn't answer the question as to what precisely keeps crashing the bundle, but I think I'm going to consider this solved for now, come back to it later.

Error disable is because the mode in on on. change it to

channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094647.shtml#errdisable

HTH

Reza

Thanks! Absolutely worked and I was able to add a live port to the bundle on the fly.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to bring all the ports up at the same time.  Do a shut on the portchannel SVI  .    Add the new port to the channel group,"channel-group X mode on " .   Then do a no shut on the port channel SVI ( interface port channel x) .

Yes, that worked! Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco