Views
Helpful
Replies

firewall contexts

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Gurus,

We have a requirement to create 2 contexts & 1 admin context on a HA based ASA. The local ip range i have is 192.168.100.0 /24.

Internet traffic will be coming on to this context, although there will be only one single internet line and not two different ones for each context.

Please help me as to how the ip assignments on these contexts must be made wrt to HA pair.A brief overall config including ip address would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

That is correct. You did understand it correct.

-KS

View solution in original post

Yes that is correct. Context 1 and context 2 are two different firewalls.

-KS

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

(EDIT): these also need to have a DMZ interface on each of them. How is that also be incorporated in this.

Thanks.

Thanks for the great link. Another query though, since the firewall is in an HA mode, how do we allocate public ip address on its internet facing interface.

viz, would the admin context also need to be put in with ip address or is it only for the other 3 contexts interface. If so, would each context on active firewall have different public ip address and would same apply to standby firewall.

Appreciate any assistance!

Good question. We do recommend to add a standby IP for all interfaces. If you have available addresses I would add a standby IP address for the outside interface for all the contexts. Otherwise you can leave it just with the active IP. Failover will still work. Just monitoring interface will not work.

When you issue sh fail, active unit will show up with an IP address but the standby unit will show up as 0.0.0.0. That is all.

-KS

thanks for the prompt help. to make it more easily digestible to me, below is the
sample config i have done to enact this scenario:

each context will have a different organisation on it.

FWA(Active) - Context 1 & Context 2
FWB(Standby) - Context 1 & Context 2

Assuming public ip's to be 192.168.100.4 /29

Gw: 192.168.100.5

On FWA- context1: i assign IP 192.168.100.6 /29 on public interface
On FWA- context2: i assign IP 192.168.100.7 /29 on public interface

(Or does it mean that Context2 doesnt have to be assigned any ip or the same as Context1) ?

On FWB- context1: Unassigned
On FWB- context2: Unassigned

Is this correct as per my understanding of your post.

Tons of thanks to you!

That is correct. You did understand it correct.

-KS

Ok. that means Context1 & Context2 will have seperate translation tables ?

Thanks.

Yes that is correct. Context 1 and context 2 are two different firewalls.

-KS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card