WLC4402-25-K9 vs. HP Procurve MSM760

Answered Question
Jan 30th, 2010

We are considering upgrading to WLC 4402 w/ 25 AP license but has to justify our choice over other brands such as HP. Has anyone used HP's MSM760? It's only a litte over $2000 with software license of 40 aps, fast roaming, location service, optimization for 11n, and built-in firewall.

I like the HREAP setup for Cisco WLC. I am currently using a WLC-2106. I need to deploy a total of 18 APs throughout our WAN (multple T1 links). I don't know if HP has the equivalent of HREAP. My problem is WLC 4402-25AP is about 10 grand, way more expensive than HP. It's hard for me to justify to management.

Can someone shed some light on this? I can't find anybody on google who is using HP. None of my vendors' engineers (PC Connection, CDW, etc.) have hands-on experience with it. Does that mean the HP controller is just hype? Sorry if I offended the Cisco folks on the forum.

Thanks,

Daniel

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by George Stefanick about 6 years 10 months ago

You may want to see this shoot out by cisco, hp, mototola and aruba... HP took a beating .... i posted this on my site a few weeks ago...

http://www.my80211.com/home/2009/11/29/cisco-80211n-shootout-with-arubamotorola-and-hp.html

if you find this helpful please rate the post ... Thanks

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
DANIEL WANG Fri, 02/12/2010 - 15:05

Thank for the reply and apologize for getting back to you so late. I was busy looking up other alternatives. And I found a very promising wireless vendor -- Ruckus Wireless. There is a recent article on Tom's Hardware where they compared it with Cisco and Aruba and Ruckus won out by a large margin in almost every test. Their Smart Antenna Array, a beam-forming technology on antenna and software, is quite amazing. /DW

Leo Laohoo Fri, 02/12/2010 - 15:52

Hi Daniel,

When you're dealing with Cisco equipments it's "You get what you've paid for".

Let start with support.  If you need to replace your equipment and you've got a valid Service Contract, they'll have it ready no matter what boondock you are in.  If you need support from TAC, you have it anytime you want.  You can sometimes specify what timezone you want the support from.

It is very, very rare for you to see a response from Cisco in the lines of "blah is not supported because it's your equipment's fault" and the door is close.  9/10 cases TAC support will come up with the reason for the issue and a viable work around.

Beamforming - Beamforming is supported when you use the 1140 and 1250 Wireless Access Point.  These APs (autonomous or controller-based) support 802.11n.

One of the few things the savy marketing brochures will say is that they can promise, say, 300 mbps wireless traffic on 802.11n (with beamforming) but Cisco's figure could be lower or something.  Take not that the wireless medium is exactly like a hub.  300 mbps is in HALF duplex.

You have no idea how many wireless vendors who offer "We'll replace every Cisco wireless kit you have for free.  Like for like." or "2 aps for one Cisco AP and we'll throw in the controller too".  After we did some simple tests, we declined the offer.  Just like lawyers, there are just some things Cisco stuffs can do that the others won't.

(No offense to the lawyers out there!)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content