Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to copy config to TFTP server from Router

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I have TFTPd32 running on Windows desktop and I have Router from where i want to copy running config to TFTPd32 server but i can not.

TFTPd32  interface has same IP as desktop PC.I can ping the PC ip from Router and vice versa.

Can someone who know about this TFTPd32 is there any settings which i need to configure?

Many thanks

Mahesh

24 Replies 24

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

I have TFTPd32 running on Windows desktop and I have Router from where i want to copy running config to TFTPd32 server but i can not.

TFTPd32  interface has same IP as desktop PC.I can ping the PC ip from Router and vice versa.

Can someone who know about this TFTPd32 is there any settings which i need to configure?

Many thanks

Mahesh

Mahesh,

No need for any setting for tftpd32 just check that services tftp are running in desktop and pure ip to ip connectivity between router and pc.

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

where to check service in pcs windows ?

let me know

thanks

mahesh

Hi Ganesh,

where to check service in pcs windows ?

let me know

thanks

mahesh

Mahesh,

As you have confirmed there is no firewall enabled in PC and have you checked Forward port 69 if it isn't open in the firewall. Or whatever port the program requires or whatever port you assign.

If that is also not working as suggested try with other freeware software like solarwinds.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

-- check the service and open the software (tftp32) whenever you are copying from the router --

HTH

Mohamed

Mahesh

If the router and the PC can ping each other then that demonstrates that there is IP connectivity and eliminates the most likely source of the problem. I will suggest a couple of other things that might cause this problem:

- is it possible that between the router and the PC there is some router doing filtering or some firewall that might be denying the TFTP packets?

- is it possible that the router is doing some kind of Policy Based Routing that would forward the ping packets normally (and they would work) but is forwarding the TFTP differently (and it does not work)?

- is it possible that there is a firewall running on the PC that is denying the incoming TFTP packets?

When you initiate the TFTP from the router is there any indication in tftpd32 that it sees the incoming request? When tftpd32 is running and after you have attempted the TFTP have you used the log viewer and does it have any information about the request from the router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Rick

Thanks for reply.

there is no fw running on pc and there is no policy based routing.

this is error message i get

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.14/2650xm-confg (Timed out).

When you initiate the TFTP from the router is there any indication in tftpd32 that it sees the incoming request? When tftpd32 is running and after you have attempted the TFTP have you used the log viewer and does it have any information about the request from the router?

Answer is no

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mahesh

Mahesh,

On you PC, is the TFTP application open? if yes do you see the IP address of the PC assigned to it? If you change IP on your PC.  For example if you were using 192.168.1.1 and the TFTP server was open and now you change it to 192.168.1.2, in this case you have to close the TFTP application and open it again so it take 192.168.1.2 if not it will keep the old one.

HTH

Reza

Hi reza,

thnaks for reply

i do see the ip address in tftp interface on pc.

also application is open on pc.

thanks

mahesh

mahesh,

Try another free TFTP server

I like SolarWinds.

Also are you sure there is no firewall or IPS installed on your PC?

Reza

Mahesh

Perhaps it would help us understand the problem better if you could cut and paste to post to the thread the output of traceroute from the router to the TFTP server address, and also the command that you enter to initiate the TFTP, any prompts and responses, and the error generated by the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Thanks for reply

here is output

2650xm#copy running-config tftp
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.14
Destination filename [2650xm-confg]?
%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.14/2650xm-confg (Timed out)
2650xm#

Traceroute to TFTP

2650xm#traceroute 192.168.1.14

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 192.168.1.14

1  *  *  *
  2  *  *  *
  3  *  *  *
  4  *  *  *
  5  *  *  *
  6  *  *  *
  7  *  *  *
  8  *  *  *
  9  *  *  *
10  *  *  *
11  *  *  *
12  *  *  *
13  *  *  *
14  *  *  *
15  *  *  *
16  *  *  *
17  *  *  *

Here is ping result

2650xm#ping 192.168.1.14

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.14, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/4 ms
2650xm#

Thanks rick for your efforts

Mahesh

Mahesh,

Is there any firewall between you r tftp server and router and what system is the tftp server running on and If it is unix then ensure the permissions are 666.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Ganesh

The original post was very clear about what platform:"I have TFTPd32 running on Windows desktop". So Unix permissions are not the issue.

Mahesh has said that there is not firewall. But I agree with you that the symptoms sort of suggest some firewall or other filtering is taking place.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ganesh

The original post was very clear about what platform:"I have TFTPd32 running on Windows desktop". So Unix permissions are not the issue.

Mahesh has said that there is not firewall. But I agree with you that the symptoms sort of suggest some firewall or other filtering is taking place.

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for pointing out to right direction ,It was my mistake i should have checked the previous post once again.

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: