cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT on 7600

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I have a couple of questions to do with NAT on 7600 and VRF NAT on 7600.

Is it supported on 7600 series and if yes, what Route Processor and what IOS Version?

Is it Software Based? Is there a hardware accelaration (like a SPA Card) someone could use?

I've seen some network books and almost all of them use 7200 series. One of them is suggesting to use PIX Blade as an alternative for high capacity NAT performance, but I assume that is too old?.

Regards.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello pavlosd,

NAT per VRF is not supported on the Catalyst 6500 series switches and the Cisco 7600 series routers

You can use FWSM to do NAT per VRF, but this is a new feature in ver 3.2(1) and the FWSM has to operate in transparent mode not routed mode.

From the FWSM config guide:

Introducing NAT support for transparent firewalls addresses the NAT per VRF requirement while offering the capability to run routing protocols through the firewall with a simple configuration.

Here is the config guide for FWSM:

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/security/asdm/6_1f/user/guide/intro_platform.html#wp1061017

HTH

Reza

Hello Reza,

FWSM 3.2.1 is not so new, the real issue is the original poster should get a FWSM if they haven't  one already installed in the C7600 chassis

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Investing in a FWSM currently, is not something we would like to do, since the roadmap is not so clear for the specific product or for the compatibility of it with new IOS and features / Cards. I would prefer having a separate ASA box next to the 7600 instead.

I was more looking into a newer version card for NAT, similar to the one that is available for the CRS (not in that scale though :-)....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6553/white_paper_c11-558744-00_ns1017_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: