Views
Helpful
Replies

CATOS

ronshuster
Level 1
Level 1

We just acquired two catalyst 4500's and they are running CATOS

(WS-C4006 Software, Version NmpSW: 8.4(9)GLX)

I need to be able to create multiple vlans one for users, servers, etc each having a different segment, for example:

users 192.168.1.0\24

servers 192.168.2.0\24

etc.

Anyone has an idea how to do this using catos?

is it preferable to upgrade to ios? any advantages\disadvantages?

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Configuration Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.3and8.4glx/configuration/guide/configur.html

CatOS is quickly going away....if possible, upgrade to IOS..

Victor

I looked at this doc :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/8.3and8.4glx/configuration/guide/vlans.html#wp1036885

But i was unable to find how to create a vlan interface - layer 3 - only layer 2.

like in my example i would like to have the following setup:

192.168.1.0\24 users

192.168.2.0\24 servers

CatOS only allows for the configuration of technologies that are comprised of layer 2 data structures. You configure the L3/routed interfaces for vlans (SVIs) on a routing engine that will either take the form of an MSFC blade in a switch chassis (6500s) or a separate router that has a trunk interface to the switch.

Victor

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is a layer 2 device only , you would need a separate l3  device such as a router or a L2/3 switch to do your routing.  Catos is EOL .  Do a show mod if your supervisor says its a Sup II  then  that is EOL in May of this year after which cisco won't even supply replacement parts.  Catos is already eol and no further releases will be forthcoming.  You cannot convert to IOS  you would have to replace the supervisor to a Sup II+  or above to run IOS .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco