cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAP4400N multi-SSID and WDS

nil.odessa
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use Cisco WAP4400N for creating 2 isolated networks. I need 2 APs to get good signal in all areas .Is it possible to use multi-SSiD future on Cisco WAP4400 in WDS mode (or in any other modes) or I need to use cable connection betweenAPs? The main goal is using two different SSID over the wireless coverage so every AP must broadcast both SSIDs.

Thanks for your response,
Nil

4 Replies 4

nil.odessa
Level 1
Level 1

In other words, is Cisco WAP4400n broadcast multi ssid over the WDS? For example Cisco wireless router WRVS4400n doesn't broadcast  SSIDs other than primary in WDS mode. Please help me to make a decision about WAP4400n AP.

Best regards,

Nil

If possible, you should have both APs connect to the same wired infrastructure.  This is most preferred.  You can set up both APs with the same configs and clients can roam from one to another.

If you can not connect a remote AP to your wired network then you can configure it for WDS (bridging and or client access) or you can also configure it as a repeater to simply extend the wireless network. 

The rule of thumb is that running an AP in bridge mode / WDS will take about 50% of your signal strength.  Keep this in mind when you are performing your site survey and checking the access quality.  

There are a couple of options for you, and here is the user guide:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap4410n/administration/guide/WAP4410N_Admin_Guide.pdf

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Thanks for your response, Andrew.

Everythiтg is clear, but could you explain a little bit situation with multi ssid?

My situation:

2 APs and 2 SSID 1st- private and 2nd is open

1st option - wire connected 2 APs - no problem at all. From everywhere I can connect to both networks and roaming works. Unfortunately the wire connection is problem in my situation.

2nd option WDS with 2APs - Do I see both networks with different SSIDs?

Best regards,

Nil

I looked in the admin guide, and it is not clear to me. I certainly welcome any feedback from the greater community.

Here is my understanding:

- If you are doing bridging only, then I believe you can only bridge one SSID since you are extending a network.  Kind of makes sense ...

- If you are performing a repeater, then you should repeat all signals, SSIDs etc ...

- You can provide bridging and access via WDS and as such all SSIDs etc ... should be available.

You need to configure all the APs as the same though ...

If you would like to call our support team, please contact the Cisco Small Business Support Center.  Refer to the link below for contact info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Any chance we can fix your wired network?

It would be best to have a wired network running throughout and a wireless network extending it where needed.

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: