861-W configuration question...

Unanswered Question
Feb 1st, 2010
User Badges:

Why does the 861W support 10 SSIDs, but only 2 VLANs, one of which is the management VLAN? I would like to configure this device to allow a public non-secure SSID which would use a broadband internet connection. I would like to have a private secured SSID which would allow connectivity to my internal network via a 6509. Obviously, I can't accomplish this with only 2 VLANs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Mon, 02/01/2010 - 11:37
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Really you don't need the VLANs to support the SSID's.  If you setup the SSIDs in a bridged config using bridge-groups and BVI interfaces you can get the 10 SSIDs to work.

buporter Mon, 02/01/2010 - 11:50
User Badges:

I'm starting to feel dumb here, but without using VLANs, wouldn't all of the SSIDs be on the same subnet?

dancampb Mon, 02/01/2010 - 11:51
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

No.  The BVI interface is your layer-3 interface.  A different subnet would be configured for each BVI.

buporter Mon, 02/01/2010 - 11:59
User Badges:

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I would like to configure this device to allow a public non-secure SSID which would use a cable modem internet connection. I would like to have a private secured SSID which would allow connectivity to my internal network via a 6509. I need to make sure neither of these subnets can cross over to the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content