cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

861-W configuration question...

buporter
Level 1
Level 1

Why does the 861W support 10 SSIDs, but only 2 VLANs, one of which is the management VLAN? I would like to configure this device to allow a public non-secure SSID which would use a broadband internet connection. I would like to have a private secured SSID which would allow connectivity to my internal network via a 6509. Obviously, I can't accomplish this with only 2 VLANs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Really you don't need the VLANs to support the SSID's.  If you setup the SSIDs in a bridged config using bridge-groups and BVI interfaces you can get the 10 SSIDs to work.

I'm starting to feel dumb here, but without using VLANs, wouldn't all of the SSIDs be on the same subnet?

No.  The BVI interface is your layer-3 interface.  A different subnet would be configured for each BVI.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:

I would like to configure this device to allow a public non-secure SSID which would use a cable modem internet connection. I would like to have a private secured SSID which would allow connectivity to my internal network via a 6509. I need to make sure neither of these subnets can cross over to the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: